Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vy ss spare

m1lky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Hey all

What spare do you have in your ss from factory?

Mine has a 15" steel rim with a sh1tty road stone tyre. It's covered in brake dust so I think someone's flogged the spare. The bolt is to long to even hold it down.

Seem heaps with a yellow 18 so thinking that's what mine should have. Not even sure if the 15 will clear front brakes (yes I know I should put a rear on the front and spare on the back).

Can't believe how bad traction is with it on the rear. Even with an LSD under normal acceleration it lights up the back and it squeaked engine braking!!!

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
I would say a black stocky. The yellow rims are 18's I think found on the Clubsport etc.

dopey666

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY ss
dont know if its standard but my ss has a full size 18 as a spare..

m1lky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
my vy ss series2 came with just a black steel rim.

Yeah ive got black steel rim. Identical to the one under the hub caps on the vs and with about 100k+ of brake dust inside it.

dont know if its standard but my ss has a full size 18 as a spare..

Maybe it had a full sized and one of the times it went through a dealer they fleeced it. 4 full sized spares puts ss mags on an executive afterall

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Holden have taken the cheap way out with spare tyres since about the VT. My VR Berlina had a proper matching alloy spare wheel and I think the same was true for the VS. From around VT, they have saved a few dollars and fitted a standard 15" steel wheel with a standard Bridgestone or similar. Later, in the VE, they introduced the "space saver" spare and gave new car buyers the option of paying 250 bucks for a proper matching alloy spare and tyre.

The worst thing about this tight-arsed policy is that you can end up with three 17's or 18's with high class tyres and one 15 with an absolutely sub-standard, low-grip. The "space savers" are even worse. I'm surprised that ADR's even allow this practice to occur, given that they are intended to ensure a high standard of road safety.

L31GH

Reaction score
Members Ride
Silver VY SS - S1
My series 1 vy ss has a full size 18 inch mag spare

m1lky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
My series 1 vy ss has a full size 18 inch mag spare

Thanks. Mines a series 1 too. I knew it should have had a full sized spare. Is it silver or yellow?

edals

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
My Old mans Red VY S1 SS had a full 18", came in handy when he had to swerve a hit a gutter and crunched it lol