Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY SS Suspension Rattle/Noise - Stumped

jokerflingo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VY SS 2003 - 6 Speed Manual
Hey guys,

I have a Holden VY SS which has the most annoying rattle type noise which im fairly sure is coming from the back right. Now i have crawled all under the car, had it over the pit, wheel off, shock off to try and find the source of this noise. All the rubbers seem good, everything under the car seems tight and i for the life of me and my old man cant figure out where it is coming from.

Its not the exhaust as i had that sorted last week and it seems more evident when towing my trailer, hence why im hinting towards the back which is ofter where it sounds to. Now here's the trick, it doesn't make the noise over the same type of bump each time. Some pot holes can cause it others cant, some gradient changes in the road do and others don't, but whats the strangest thing is whatever is causing it must have the tightest tolerance because sometimes its caused by the slightest change in road conditions where you would think the shock barely moves.

Now before i take it to a suspension shop and try and take them for a drive and mimic the noise which may be difficult, does anyone have any other ideas i can try?

I find it hard to believe that over such small gradient changes that the spring could be moving as there would still be 1.5 tonne of pressure still on it and i also thought it was the handbrake cable hitting on the frame but i covered that in foam and it made no difference.

Sorry for the long story, hopefully someone has had a similar issue.

Thanks.
Matt.

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
I had a rattle sound coming from the rear of a EF falcon. Looked every where. Right royal pain in the rectum.
After weeks of frustration, found out the spare tyre was not secured properly.
Gotta think outside the square sometimes.

jokerflingo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Oh i wish it was something that simple, i checked the entire boot to see if i could notice anything, no cigar :(

Any other ideas?

I had a rattle sound coming from the rear of a EF falcon. Looked every where. Right royal pain in the rectum.
After weeks of frustration, found out the spare tyre was not secured properly.
Gotta think outside the square sometimes.

Dr HaxZaw

Reaction score
Members Ride
R34 GT-T
I had a similar thing with the front right. Ended up being the backing plate behind the brake that is used to ensure even heat distribution in the disc was loose and rattled over some bumps but not others.

LowVp

VP Enthusiast
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Ute 3.8T T56
swaybar bushes or link pins?

mr calais 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s 2003
In the wife's carnival we had the whole rear suspension taken out for a rattle sound and turned out that it was a warn bush and the metal was hitting metal. But it only happened on hot days..

jokerflingo

Reaction score
Members Ride
I had a similar thing with the front right. Ended up being the backing plate behind the brake that is used to ensure even heat distribution in the disc was loose and rattled over some bumps but not others.

Had a look all over the car again tonight, check all the brakes, nothing loose.

swaybar bushes or link pins?

Swaybar bushes seem fine and the link pins are the same.

In the wife's carnival we had the whole rear suspension taken out for a rattle sound and turned out that it was a warn bush and the metal was hitting metal. But it only happened on hot days..

Which bush was the culprit if i may ask?

The problem is i bet if i take it to a suspension shop they wont know what it is without replacing everything.

ONQ-247

3.8L ECOTEC GRUNT!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive S2
Do you have the tow-ball attachment connected at all times? If so remove it and see if the noise goes away.
We have BMW's do this all the time at work. Owner will use the trailer over a weekend, comes to Monday and the tow-ball/neck are still connected to the car...and it's rattling.

jokerflingo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Unfortunately i had this noise prior to getting my towbar installed, might try pedders 28 point safety check.

Do you have the tow-ball attachment connected at all times? If so remove it and see if the noise goes away.
We have BMW's do this all the time at work. Owner will use the trailer over a weekend, comes to Monday and the tow-ball/neck are still connected to the car...and it's rattling.