Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY SS ute saiplane

Trent Nichols

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ute
hey everyone, currently in the process of making a few mods to my ute, and from where i removed my canopy my standard 'sailplane' i think its called is cracked.
i was looking to take it off and replace it with the ss one with the led brake lights, but cant find one anywhere and dont really know what to search for.
any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!

one_and_only2004

Turbo L98 FTW
Reaction score
Members Ride
Z Series Thunder Utility - Turbo
The SS sailplane is a direct swap in, it's the wiring where it gets tricky. You have to feed a cable from the sailplane's location down to the driver side kick panel and wire it up there. I think it's about $70 for the plastic part, and $150 for the LED.

Trent Nichols

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ute
oh awesome, im an electrician so i might be able to wire it up, auto electrics are a bit different though.
any idea where i could purchase one?? online or?

one_and_only2004

Turbo L98 FTW
Reaction score
Members Ride
Z Series Thunder Utility - Turbo
I'm an electrician also, it was easy setting it up. From memory it's a blue wire with a red strip for the +ve and just bolt onto the chassis for the -ve. Don't get tricky attaching to black wires for the -ve, I tried that and I was getting abs errors everytime I pushed the brakes.

sp001in

vyma100
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY ute
you wire it into the brake loom which runs up under the door sill on the drivers side. PM me for wiring colours.

I've got a sailplane on my ute, from ebay $400.

If you are after just the standard one, Mine is in excellent condition I removed it from the ute to put the sailplane on. I only want $100 for all 3 pieces, no brake light in it but.

Trent Nichols

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ute
hey i checked the one on ebay, that was the maloo one!
i was just after a standard ss one.
but what would the maloo one look like on my standard ute without a hard top?