Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vy ss will start, rev high than cut straight out.. help please

Toby andi

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 vy ss 5.7l 6 speed manual
so the other day driving home in my vy ss manual a ignition lead decided to pop off on its own and started running real rough, i pulled over and upon inspection the lead was corroded so i tried clipping it back on and continued on my way home okay on 7 cylinders, got home pulled all the leads off and replaced with new ones now it starts, revs high than cuts out straight away, all within like 1-2 seconds. i dont understand how it could drive okay on seven cylinders to home now with 8 it wont run? after trying it twice a check engine light comes up,all wires seem to be intact etc..

Toby andi

Reaction score
Members Ride
i will have today, im just hoping it connects to this car, wouldnt connect to my old ecotec. surely someone has had something similar happen and has found the problem

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS

Toby andi

Reaction score
Members Ride
okay so i didnt get that one but i did get a different one from autobarn, still not showing codes tho it does connect to my car. im thinking it may be electrical, starter or alternator

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
The starter or alternator is not going to be the problem. If it was the alternator you would get a battery warning light, not CEL.
Like Pollushon, I also recommend this: https://www.envyouscustoms.com/diagnostics/diagnostic-kits/elm327-cable/
It definitely works with the LS1, unlike many other scanner. A lot of them connect to the PCM/ECU but can't read the fault codes. See if you can get your money back from Autobarn.