Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY SS will start, then turn strait back off

lockmac

Reaction score
Hi guys.

A mates VY SS has a funny issue, but it rarely happens, maybe about once a month.

He will start his car, and it will start, but strait away it will turn strait back off. To get it to turn over again, you have to turn the key all the way to the off position (not just accessories) and then try again, where it will do the same thing. If you give it a bit of throttle once its started, it still stalls.

This happens about 10-11 times before the car will stay started, and this issue will then not happen again until maybe a month or two down the track.

Any ideas why??

v6lux

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S1 (was VR) V6 Hilux
Idle Air Control valve my need a clean, but it could be something else too.

HoldrodeoLT

I have no lemon pledge...
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 Holden Rodeo RA LT, 2008 Polaris Hawkeye 300
Sounds like fuel pumps on its way out..
Does he get RPM surges?

henrytad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series 2 SS 6.2L
check your air intake. i had this problem in mine when i was installing a pod filter as the engine is registering more air coming in. when it starts does it rev a few times by itself then stalls? or if you chuck it in drive it will be in limp mode then shut off.
also, try disconnecting your battery and reconnecting it to reset the computer

lockmac

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I was thinking fuel pump, but no it doesnt rev surge. When it works, it works flawlessly.

I will have a look at the instake and other things mentioned. The hard part is going to be knowing whether they fixed it or not as will have to wait a while for it to do it again.

Cheers guys

HoldrodeoLT

I have no lemon pledge...
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 Holden Rodeo RA LT, 2008 Polaris Hawkeye 300
Idle Air Control valve my need a clean, but it could be something else too.

I had a long and drawn out finding the problem with my rodeo..
Surging and stalling... and loss of power down low
i tried everything.. and was certain it was the fuel pump..
untill one day i read some where to clean out the IAC valve.
So sure enough i removed it and it was carboned up baaad..
gave it a good clean. as well as giving the TB a good clean..
It's been a diffrent car ever since...:)

whitey66

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S Sedan
This is usually caused by the immobiliser system,by either a faulty key head or loose screws that hold the remote to the key shaft.
This problem only occurs if the vehicle is left unlocked for a period of time (20 - 30 seconds) then started again with the key.
If you push the unlock button,even though it's already unlocked,this will disarm the immobiliser and the car will start.
Get you mate to see what the red flashing light is doing with the ignition in the on position when it won't start.If it's still flashing,this means the key remote has not been read and the car will start,run for about one second,then stop.
If you stuck a screwdriver in the ignition lock and forced the barrel around (don't do this!!)the same thing would happen,it would start,run,then stop.