Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY stalling

Goolz96

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina S2
VY Berlina V6 automatic
Hey guys, the other night I was driving around when my engine stalled out of nowhere. Both my brakes and steering went stiff, RPM and speedo dropped out but still had my electrics (Stereo on, headlights, etc.). And just seconds before it happened I heard a small clunk from under the car.

After having to coast to a stop, I turned the key completely off and turned the car straight back on and drove home without an issue. But since then it's been driving a bit sluggish, and idling a bit rougher than usual.

Any ideas what could be causing this?

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Sounds like -
Earthing problem
Fuel Pump
immobiliser
Alternator over voltage and shuts down the ECU
Could be a number of things,
Take it to either Repco or Supercheap and get it scanned, that will give you a starting point of what and where to look if it has any codes, where not all errors will activate the MIL.

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
As krusing posted above
Get it scanned for any stored codes and go from there

Goolz96

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina S2
Sounds like -
Earthing problem
Fuel Pump
immobiliser
Alternator over voltage and shuts down the ECU
Could be a number of things,
Take it to either Repco or Supercheap and get it scanned, that will give you a starting point of what and where to look if it has any codes, where not all errors will activate the MIL.
Alternator and fuel pump are all good. Immobiliser is okay. It could possibly be cam angle sensor failing apparently.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Clunk underneath before it happened? Backfire blew a vacuum hose off maybe hence the reason for rough idling.
Probably bad plug or leads or even coil pack or DFI, last time I had experience like you hit something under the car (Thump) it turned out to be my spark plug failure on one cylinder, made a hell of a mess to my airbox as I'm on gas, also popped off my vacuum line. I think cylinder 4 didn't fire for memory.

Last edited:

Utel67

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs s3 ute
Cam sensor control's sequential injection if it fails the injectors go in to batch fire, car should not stall unplug it and see if it runs.

ant797

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s
I been doing reading about tcc solanoid aparently if the torque converter locks when your coming to a stop it will cuase the car to stall you might hear something if you were going slow enough from the transmission