Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY starting issues without throttle.

brodregayo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY executive
Hi guys new member to the forum but long time user of your vast knowledge (ass kisser but i need help)...

Well here's the low down on the problem.

For about 10-12 months now my vy executive (auto) has been struggling to start without me giving it some throttle. It has gradually gotten worse to the point where the car will not start at all unless i give it some throttle, even then it will sometimes die immediately and require me starting it again. The engine will stop cranking if i keep trying to start it without giving it some throttle (cranks maybe 4-6 times before cuts out all together).
I noticed after my last service (only oil and air/oil filters) that the problem seemed to be fixed however after a few weeks it was back again. The problem has never meant i cant start my car at all it is just an effort every time. Need some direction here pleaseeeee.
Additional info:
my key is a dog, old crappy buttons, probably about dead, so i feel that may have something to do with it, (it just looks like its near its end)
About a month ago i locked my car, went into work and wehen i came out four hours later car wouldnt unlock as battery had died (hence the replacement battery)
Also just replaced battery with no change to problem (battery was old anyway)
The problem is present under all conditions too, hot, cold, etc.

Have read through a few forums but none seem to have the exact same problems as me, Thanks in advance for any help :)
cheers brodie!!!

Last edited:

SavVYute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S V6 Ute Series II 2004
A good cleaning of the throttle body would be a good place to start and check vacuum hoses for cracks or leaks.