Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY steering controls for VT Calais

VTCALAIS97

Light 'em up
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Members Ride
2010 VE SSV
Hi guys!

i installed the VY steering wheel using one of your guides and was wondering why the steering controls dont work? what is happening is, the head unit turns on and instantly mutes and wont let me do anything... its the stock head unit. is there something i missed?

Thanks in andvance!!

Cheers!!:beer chug:

Ghost

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs Commodore berlina Sedan 1996
Is it a vt stock unit or a vy stock unit because it may not work if your using a vt one also the vx and vy radios talk to the bcm when on and so you may have issues there as well the best bet is to get an after market unit and wire it up with the correct module for the steering wheel because then it's not communicating with anything else

Sent From My Galaxy S3 Using Tapatalk

Ghost

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs Commodore berlina Sedan 1996
There is 2 options the 1st being get yourself a vy radio and iso harness to wire in or 2 buy an aftermarket one I'll be selling my stock unit in a couple of weeks and will be going to holden for the security code before I sell it

Sent From My Galaxy S3 Using Tapatalk

VTCALAIS97

Light 'em up
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Members Ride
2010 VE SSV
Hey i just bought an aftermarket radio and the installer said that the buttons wont work with the radio cause they arnt vt ones... uh is there any reason why it should or shouldnt work? im confused...

rowe147

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ executive
aprrently you can buy an adapter for an after market radio to the vy steering wheel controls its on ebay for $130 bux but i dont no if it will work with the car being a vt , an aftermarket stereo and vy steering wheel controls sounds pretty messy to me

morphix

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VZ SV6 5-Speed Auto
As long as you can get pins to match in the harness, the wiring should be no different, except yes you would need a module to convert from VY steering controls to use on an aftermarket unit, this will NOT work on a stock VT radio however.

The 'signal' wire for the steering controls is brown.

Eg. This is what i got for my VZ, which is the same as a VY.

You will need to get the additional harness that goes from the module to your head unit.

Last edited:

morphix

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VZ SV6 5-Speed Auto
Just curious for what reason? Don't like it? If you intend on using the VT steering wheel controls, you will still need to get an adapter to work with aftermarket head units.

VTCALAIS97

Light 'em up
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Members Ride
2010 VE SSV
Yea I have the adapter for the vt ones.... I do love the VY silver wheel.. But I want the steering controls to work with my new head unit and the installer said he can't guarantee that the vy ones will work cause the vy has the signal running through the ecu or bcm or what ever and the vt doesn't. So he said it probably wouldn't work even if I have the vy connector cable thing.. So I wanna trade my vy one for a vt Calais one :)