Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY - Steering wheel controls - Cheap China double din DVD head unit.

Andrew_bott_

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Commodore S pack
Don’t know if this has been covered but I’m not getting any love out of the search results.

I have a VY S pack and I’m installing a cheap double din head unit from china and it says that it can be connected to the steering wheel controls of any car, as long as it runs on a 5V system.

Does anyone know if the controls in the VY’s are 5V??

The unit only has 3 wires to connect to the wheel, does this mean I am only going to get the use of 2 buttons? Or is a digital signal where each of the button sends a different signal down the same wiring??

Anyway any help would be greatly appreciated,

cheers

mccar13

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF S1 Evoke Wagon & VF S2 SSV Redline Wagon
Hey, I bought a headunit from china a while back, and installed it in my vy s pac. Yeah you can get the streeting wheel controls to work quite easily. You just need to work out what wires to use (holden headunit only uses two wires). You need to sit down with the wiring diagram thats on top of the holden headunit, and the wireing diagram with the new headunit to work out how to plug it all in. Message me if you want more help.

Andrew_bott_

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Commodore S pack
thnaks for the help. Worked fine.

Connected the ground wie to the ground on the unit and the STEREO REM to the KEY 1 on the unit.

Seems to be working.

cheers

alien

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY Supercharged 3.8L
The unit only has 3 wires to connect to the wheel, does this mean I am only going to get the use of 2 buttons? Or is a digital signal where each of the button sends a different signal down the same wiring??
Not digital, but each Button uses a different resistor combo to signify what button is being used. This varies the voltage coming out of the wire and the head unit looks at what voltage it is and works out what to do.

e.g:
Button 1: 0 Resistance
Button 2: R1 Resistance
Button 3: R1 + R2 Resistance
Button 4: R1 + R2 + R3 Resistance
Button 5: R1 + R2 + R3 + R4 Resistance
Button 6: R1 + R2 + R3 + R4 + R5 Resistance

Jacko's ss

Jacko
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
hey guys are these the 2-3 hundred dollar ebay jobbies was thinknig of getting one
so no problems with them are the ipods easy to hook up cause in the ad it looks like you pull the face forward to plug the ipod in, i wasnt sure if that would work as in the vy the dash itself comes sticks out a bit and do all the gps and bluetooth work okay on them?

..............cheers jacko

cewing

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV SWAGON
read the car audio reviews section jacko. i wrote one up on a ebay unit a few months ago