Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY Steering wheel controls for Stereo

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
I'd be interested to know how you went with signal levels as the pre-amp output is only line level (approx .7volts) and amplifiers like between 2-6 volts. If you could let me know, that would be great!

RichardW

Reaction score
Phreddy said:
Don't know whether this will interest anyone, but I've recently modified a Blaupunkt six-stacker to give low level outputs on the rear channels. It involved adding a small "buffer" board inside the unit, and picking up the signals before they get to the internal power amps - nice and clean. The buffer prevents any external loading from affectintg the internal impedances in the unit, and protects against any shorts and so on. I run a 4x50RMS amp as two bridged pairs into 7x10s on the parcel shelf. Existing front door speakers replaced with Boss splits (I know, cheap crap) but all 4 door speakers are only running from internal amps anyway.

Signal to the external amp is crystal clean - plus I also designed into the buffer board some switching circuitry for the remote amp power control. There's not much room behind the cradle, so the RCA sockets are on short lengths of shielded cable. Pins are hard mounted into the cradle and an additional socket mounted in the HU - that way it still slides in and out the way it always has.

All up it's worked out well. I have two other guys want me to do the mod for them as well! I've still got the convenience of the wheel buttons, cost me bugger all really. Plus the signal is remarkably clean where I picked it up from, it sounds great.

Oh well, for what it's worth anyhow! ;)

Cheerz.
Wish you sent that a few days ago. I just went out and brought a new head unit.

What would you charge to do it?

Phreddy

Bye SV6 - still love you
Reaction score
Website
www.asr-audio.com.au
Members Ride
VS-II Statey-8
Sorry about that Mate!

Only got it all up and running about a week ago. Didn't want to spout off too much until I was sure it worked! :D

Let's see - how much would depend on whether you want 2 channels (like mine - only the rears) or all four. As I mentioned there is some modding required for the cradle, would you want this done as well? Kinda depends on where you are too I suppose...

Anyhow, PM me if you want to talk some more.

Cheerz!

RichardW

Reaction score
12Voltking said:
I'd be interested to know how you went with signal levels as the pre-amp output is only line level (approx .7volts) and amplifiers like between 2-6 volts. If you could let me know, that would be great!
Hey 12Volt King,

I installed my CAT8 and can confirm that both the head unit and steering controls are working fine. The whinging noise has gone too!!!!!! Yay, must say that the sound quality is a 1000% better than the stock unit. Very very happy with my new system. Blaupunt is a quality name but the unit in the VY is nothing but absolute crap. It was causing all my problems as soon as I removed it and put in a DEH75750 Pioneer, I had perfect sound and no more problems.

wafi

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII SS
Hi RichardW ,

does cat08 solve your problem or u use it with the new H/U to don't loss steering controls?

any pic for your new h/u ?

RichardW

Reaction score
It sure did.

You use the existing controls and when you press one of the butons they send the request via infra red to the H/U. Only catch is the H/U needs to be infra red, ie has a remote. No pic's as of yet will post one if you like. Looks good.

camvyss

Doof, Doof, Doof
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY2 SS 5.7L A4
Not sure but I saw something mentioned about the product known as CAT. This is made by a company in Australia (not Stinger I'm fairly sure).

I recently purchased a Pioneer system for my VY and wanted the CAT so I could play with the steering controls still. Unfortunately due to the fact that I got a brand new, none installed ever, head unit, the CAT was incompatible. So my nice friends at Autobarn sent off my specs to Melbourne I'm fairly sure it was and they did a one-off job for my unit.

I would definately go with this if you want it to be usable still. One thing though find out where they are going to mount the little LED that sends the remote signal to the head unit and make sure you are happy with the spot. The guys mounted it in a stupid spot the first time and it ended up costing them a new hood liner to fix the mess up.

RichardW

Reaction score
I know what you mean, I was standing over the installer when he was puttin mine in. He didnt want to go near the liner thanks god, Once the liner comes out it is never the same again, they sag really bad, my old VS was shocking like that.

In my VY though I had the light put in the centre console pointing up. Much better. Autobarn supplied mine it is called CAT08. They are universal for a large number of cars and units. Mine was universal for a VY (along with around 10 other cars) and all Pioneer HU's (and others too). Maybe Autobarn stuffed up ordering yours the first time????

Glad you got your working in the long run. So much nicer to have the steering controls working, the sound is so much better too.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
I have installed hundreds upon hundreds of roof mount antennas and not once have I ever had to worry about damaging the headliner! and thats installing thick Co-Ax cable so I can't see how they would be damaging with the installation of the IRLED....morons. Installers like that make me sick.