Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VT-VX] VY steering wheel conversion for VT-VX

K Lewy

Reaction score
Members Ride
3.8L 1997 VT S Pack; 5 Spd Man
Sorry to brig up an old thread, But i really need to know how to undo the YELLOW clip of the AIR BAG. Do i need to just put a flat head screw driver under it and lever it Up , or is there clips i need to push, i tried all today, but wasnt to keen on trying to hard, didnt want to break anything.

thanks

666vt

[ no style ]
Reaction score
Members Ride
vt executive 3.8
...just rang up holden
new vt steering wheel with no airbag = $225
airbag = $840
apparently takes 2 or more hours for holden to install it, at about $100 an hour...

had a crash in my vt yesterday, airbag went off so it may be a write off...

if i get the car back im just gonna buy one off ebay with the bag in it already and put it on myself [or try to]

nice write up nicko! i might have to pm you if attempt this mysel haha

Coast_Calais

sick of the idiots here
Reaction score
Members Ride
varies
got a wheel upgrade to do in my in laws VT, any chance on the pics being re-upped for reference sake before i start tinkering around? would just like a quick look at your process Vs what we were thinking...

Cheers...

Static89

I Am Ironman.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina S1
gents. looks like nico isent around anymore. did a quick search and looks like his last post waS ON 28-10-2009, 09:42 AM UNLESS I READ IT WRONG. BEING 2 am THATS A BIG POSSIBLITY.

i know i have seen a write up about this on Street commo's forum. they are good for this kind of stuff. there just a pack of assholes though.

tigass

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss commodore series 2
This is a good mod. Think I'll start looking around for a new wheel soon :)

nicko

Carbon Positive - DO IT!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
75 cruiser ute
Just fixed the pictures up. Haven't been on here for AGES sorry. Having more fun 4wding :)

EdzEh

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Stato
Sorry to brig up an old thread, But i really need to know how to undo the YELLOW clip of the AIR BAG. Do i need to just put a flat head screw driver under it and lever it Up , or is there clips i need to push, i tried all today, but wasnt to keen on trying to hard, didnt want to break anything.

thanks
Just lift it straight up away from the wheel by gently levering it up with a screwdriver , plugs in with a small plug. Don't try to move it sideways.

BTW: I would not recommend doing this on carpet as shown in the first pic, we all know how often you get a static shock from carpet - just the thing to set off an airbag. Also - don't use a multimeter to test the resistance of an airbag, the battery in the meter is enough to trigger them!

mayes

Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 VTII
Does changing the wheel to a VY one, alter the steering at all? i wouldn't want my steering or alignment to be compromised in any way... just want to make sure before i do this.

madcat vxs

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx S Pack
Great mod mate, i just did it on my vx with your instructions and it was probably the easiest thing i've ever done on the car, many thanks...