Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VT-VX] VY steering wheel conversion for VT-VX

nicko

Carbon Positive - DO IT!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
75 cruiser ute
This is a good thread to convert your boring vt/vx wheel to a VY Steering wheel. Thanks to a forbidden place.

Tools and Parts:

-5/8" socket piece with a good socket wrench or breaker bar
-flathead screwdriver
-T30H bit (T30 hollow point torx bit)
- Spare horn connector (or borrow it from the old airbag setup)

Steps:

1. Disconnect battery

2. Remove airbag fuse

3. Disconnect airbag wiring harness from under dashboard (optional)

4. Remove the 4 torx screws from the back of the wheel to release the airbag and remove it slowly.

5. Keep the airbag facing away from you and slide you flathead screwdriver under the yellow airbag connector and pop it out.

6. Remove the airbag and place it in the open, out of sunlight, face up and away from static sources.

As you can see both airbags share the same wiring harness
2.jpg

7. Next you will need to crack the bolt on the steering wheel using the 5/8" socket bit, if it is very tight it might pay to have someone hold it while you work away or step out of the car and pull the wheel and wrench together. I used a torque wrench to get the leverage i needed.

8. Once the bolt is removed, center the steering wheel, then you will be able to jiggle the wheel off the spline and slide it off slowly. Take care to hold the clock spring in place, but if you loose it, it has directions to align it again anyway.

9. Grab the new VY-VZ wheel and slide it on as soon as you can straight to lock the clock spring back in place. Ensure the green shows fully in the window of the clock spring and tighten the bolt back down.

Here is the wheel fitted in place
3.jpg

There is a change between the old VT horn system and the new VY one. The VY system uses 2 plates (1 on the back of the airbag and one on the wheel) seperated by springs and there are clips on each plate to connect to. Some VY-VZ wheels will come with the connector wiring to plug into the existing horn connector but mine didn't. All you need to do is get a spare connector with a nice length of wire and put a crimp on the end of each wire to connect to the plates. On the old VT wheel the horn connector just plugged straight into the airbag module...

10. Once you have made up the horn wiring adapter just connect the red plug to the horn plug on the steering column and plug the 1 crimp into the back of the airbag plate and the other to the steering wheel plate.

Here is the horn connector to go between the 2 plates
4.jpg

11. Next plug the airbag connector back in to the new airbag and do a final check to make sure the area is clear around the airbag.

Ready to install on wheel
5.jpg

12. Line the airbag locking pins with the holes on the wheel and push down to lock it in place.

13. Put in the airbag fuse again and reconnect the battery. While standing out of the car put the car on ignition and wait for the airbag light to turn off so you know it has passed the self test.

14. Start the car up and full lock the wheel to both sides to ensure everything feels right then take it for a test drive

6.jpg

Last edited:

DannyboyDS

Just hand me the pliers.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
nice work, now get it to work on the vr/vs models and i'll buy you a beer :p

M

mwb235

Will the illuminated steering wheel controls (i.e. from a VYII/VZ Calais) work straight away when you do the above, or is there a further mod needed?

nicko

Reaction score
Members Ride
75 cruiser ute
future mod, can dig something up for you if you like

moe_019

always late in a 3.8 :P
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais
i like this, now i just need to get myself a vy steering wheel

moe_019

always late in a 3.8 :P
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais
do you think this is easy to do, and is it easy to identify which wires should go where?

nicko

Reaction score
Members Ride
75 cruiser ute
Just take your time and keep all the parts you need labeled and bagged up. Follow the instructions, you should be alright.

cds

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Ute & WM Statesman
lol.. whats the chances of accidentally triggering the airbag? ive heard people tampering with this and setting the airbag off...

nicko

Reaction score
Members Ride
75 cruiser ute
Have seem complete wheel and airbag for sale on ebay around the $300 mark. Not always on there so just wait and watch, one will pop up.

Otherwise i believe the airbag itself new is around the $300 mark