Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY Stereo

Kiroo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY
My VY will not operate any functions at all.
Only the stereo/head unit console lights up & displaying clock only when keys turned on & that's it.
I have checked all known fuses & connection to the head unit.
Is there another fuse at the rear of the head unit or is it a through away.

Last edited:

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Sounds like the actual unit is not turning on , If you have checked everything electrical, probably ditch it,
They are as cheap as chips now,
eBay and The wreckers have plenty, so maybe check them out.
Just make sure you get the VIN number (photo) of the vehicle you got you replacement one from, so you can obtain the security code.
I had to replace a six stacker genuine one recently for a family friend and found one at Jolly’s Wreckers in Ringwood,
Installed it, took the VIN to dealer, and they looked it up, keyed it in, the rest is history, the stereo cost around $40.

Last edited:

Kiroo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY
Thanks for reply, l thought it was a throw away. Abit disappointing, but as you say there are plenty out there & thanks the teminder about VIN.
If l were to swap it out for an after market, where can l get an adapter loom & would antenna still operate on power up.
Also my door speaker covers are damaged & like to replace them. Can the cover be replaced as an individual part or will l have to the whole door panel.
Thanks again for your advise Krusing

Kiroo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY
Thanks Krusing.
Got a replacement headunit & Pin Code for free from my bosses car graveyard . Bit of a bugger swapping out the units.
Now l have a small problem with the antenna not working, done usual checks. I assume that when the unit is installed it connects automatically to the unit, done the usual checks or do l have to go back to the graveyard

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
The antenna should work automatically if its genuine one, as that is what happened with the one I changed over,
Does the antenna work ?,
Best to remove the antenna and check to se if your getting the trigger voltage at the antenna connector,
You will need 2 people to do this, one to check for voltage, the other person to press the up down button.
If you do get 12 volts on either pin of the connector,
possibility its the antenna, if so, source a replacement Antenna, either the car grave yard, or a wrecker, approx. $25 > $30
I have replaced a few antenna's over the years on my VY, and a friends VT's, VX's and VY's,
The VT > VY antenna's are exactly the same, where the VZ's are a little different, as they have a plastic motor housing and a quieter when operating up and down, but will fit VT > VY models.
Very simple to do, just have to make sure the replacement does actually work CORRECTLY before installing it,
because it can be frustrating if you install it, put it all back together and it doesn't work. :confused:

The best way to test it, is to make sure you have 12v Negative (-) connected to the body of the antenna, where the Black Wire is connected to the mounting bracket,
and the to 2 other wires are the control/trigger wires, they are Red & White,
I am unsure to which is the up and down wire,
connect the Positive (+) side of a battery to either wire, and it should operate, and if it work ok, install it.
But make sure the bolt the secures it to the body in the guard is tight, and you get the rubber grommet in correctly,
otherwise water can get inside, and run down into the BCM

good luck. ;)

Kiroo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY
Looks like l'm off to the graveyard, let you how it turns out