Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY suddently decided to play up.

letthiswork1

Thomas
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY ute (2003)
Hey Guys,

First things first - I drive an 03 VY and she is my life!

Has anyone had issues with their Door switch with their lights?

Latley my radio never turns off when i open my door, along with my headlights and interior light.
I treid pushing in and out the switch at the door and still no luck.

Anyone have any idea what this is? My Mechanic says it may be the BCM.. but that sounds a bit severe..

Also -

After putting in my MACE TB when my gears change between 1-2 and 2-3 i have noticed it alsmot hits a nutrual stage or cant find the gear and revs high during the change. Does this should the TPI sensor not being able to work out the fuel mixure etc?

Appreciate your responses

Dr HaxZaw

Reaction score
Members Ride
R34 GT-T
v6 or v8?? if its a v6 you need it retuned for the bigger throttle body

and also when you talk about the lights and radio switching off when you open the door all vy's do that if the key isnt in the ignition

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
The door switch probably has a small build up of corrosion on the back of the mounting screw, which prevents the switch from earthing correctly.

Unscrew the single screw retaining the switch and pull it out of the pillar, making sure the wiring remains connected. Disconnect the wiring and clean up the terminal blade and inside the connector, and scrape the front of the switch, where the mounting screw sits. Also scrape clean the back of the screw head, then reassemble everying.

Let us know how you go.

letthiswork1

Thomas
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY ute (2003)
v6 or v8?? if its a v6 you need it retuned for the bigger throttle body

and also when you talk about the lights and radio switching off when you open the door all vy's do that if the key isnt in the ignition

v6,

I wouldn't have thought it would hit a natural stage though? I have put in plenum spacer and intake manifolder spacer, cai and it didn't need a retune.. Soon as the new TB was in suddenly all these differences! I will have it looked at.

The thing is - the radio and lights Aren't turning off when i open the door. even after i lock my car and walk away :(

letthiswork1

Thomas
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY ute (2003)
The door switch probably has a small build up of corrosion on the back of the mounting screw, which prevents the switch from earthing correctly.

Unscrew the single screw retaining the switch and pull it out of the pillar, making sure the wiring remains connected. Disconnect the wiring and clean up the terminal blade and inside the connector, and scrape the front of the switch, where the mounting screw sits. Also scrape clean the back of the screw head, then reassemble everying.

Let us know how you go.

I would have thought it was something like that but i tried pressing the switch plenty of times and no love :(

But i will give it a shot - cheers

ashbox

back in black
Reaction score
Members Ride
something black
Could still be a faulty switch for you radio and light issue, as for the throttle body, I'd get it retune

SavVYute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S V6 Ute Series II 2004
Has anyone had issues with their Door switch with their lights?

Latley my radio never turns off when i open my door, along with my headlights and interior light.
I treid pushing in and out the switch at the door and still no luck.

Anyone have any idea what this is? My Mechanic says it may be the BCM.. but that sounds a bit severe..

Go into the settings customization mode of your options menu. Check what the timeout delay is set to for headlights and accessories. Got any kids or cheeky mates that might be playing a prank on you?:)

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Just try the dirty earth switch solution before wasting time and money on other fixes. I had identical symptoms with my VY and it was a two minute fix as I described. The earth switch is intended to cut the power to the radio when the door is opened but the corrosion prevents a clean break of power and maintains the circuit. Just operating the switch in and out as you did doesn't address the poor earthing contact.

The settings menu enables you to adjust the time-out of various items but only up to a specified time interval (eg 10 minutes), not permanently.