Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vy sunglass holder into my vx

2O4TS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 9C1
I used the existing holes In the bracket . I thought I was going to have to move mine back as well but in the VT to VX series 1 there is no cut out in the mounting bracket in the roof for the locating lug on the sunglass holder . So I just cut it off with a hacksaw then used the original screw holes .

That's what I did originally too but found (as I later found out other posters had too) that there was a slight gap between the roof lining and the sunglass holder towards the windscreen even after cutting off that lug because the double panel in the roof across the windscreen is different to the VY and VZ pushing the sunglass holder down a little when using the existing holes. By moving it back a few mm I was able to have it sit perfectly flush with the roof lining. I've since put in a VY Calais roof lining so once I'd already mounted it back a bit further the VY roof lining lined up perfectly with the sunglass holder.

kazalex

karen
Reaction score
Members Ride
vy series 2,s pack
update,,, i have ordered screws from holden and have to wait for them

2O4TS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 9C1
Do you know the dimensions? Personally I would've grabbed a couple of self tappers out of my shed or from a hardware or bolt/screw supplier and paid a fraction. Nonetheless if you get the Holden one's for the VY they should be short enough to not put dents in your roof. Well I'd hope so anyway but I don't trust Holdens too much. If you haven't already done it, do a search using the custom search button up top and have a good read of the threads that relate to what you're doing and you'll see other people who've dented their roof using screws that were too long. In fact every bit of advice you needed is already here somewhere. It's what I read before fitting mine notwithstanding as I mentioned above, mounting mine in the original holes initially which left a gap between the holder and roof lining towards the windscreen until I fixed it by moving it back a bit.

You'll also need to re-wire too as the roof wiring is different on the VY-Z to VT-X.

kazalex

karen
Reaction score
Members Ride
vy series 2,s pack
for 2 screws from holden its under $2.
i am not wiring it,just using it as a sunglass holder.
karen.

kyled2012

I.T. Technician
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais 3.6
I got the screws from my local Holden shop, the guy said he had a lot of them spare and didn't even charge me :D

I used the pre-drilled holes in my roof and didn't have any issues, but if you notice the roof lining sits too high just put some foam in there to push it down a bit, mine would look awesome if I hadn't slipped and cut the lining a bit too much in one corner.... Lesson learned!

Last edited:

kazalex

karen
Reaction score
Members Ride
vy series 2,s pack
attachment.php
fitted my sunglass holder today, finally got the nerve to cut the roof

Last edited:

kyled2012

I.T. Technician
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais 3.6
Nice job mate, looks really good with that carbon fibre effect on it!
Did you wire it up, or just cut it and screw it in?

Dayvo

Because i can
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 2
attachment.php
fitted my sunglass holder today, finally got the nerve to cut the roof

I agree with the carbon fibre on the sunglass holder,sets it off nice . Did you do the carbon dash surround yourself ? How hard was it .Just had another look and thought you had a blower hanging out the bonnet then realised its a BBQ ha ha .