Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vy sunglass holder into my vx

kazalex

karen
Reaction score
Members Ride
vy series 2,s pack
hi, i have bought a vy sunglass holder for my vx.
i am wondering what size and type of screws i need and if there is a template somewhere.
i have read the other posts but no one mentions these things.thanks guys,
karen.

kazalex

karen
Reaction score
Members Ride
vy series 2,s pack
it doesnt explain the type of screws or size?

kyled2012

I.T. Technician
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais 3.6
I'm in the same boat as you mate, I got a sunglasses holder with no screws

Pop into your local Holden shop, they should have them, or at least be able to order them for you

Brenty88

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vu v8 ute
I did mine into a vu ute and its the same two screws that hold your other light holder up there's a mounting bracket for it you might need to prop up your roof linking with foam.

Cheers Brenton

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
If they are anything like the screws that hold in the dome light, they maybe a 5x22mm machine screw.
The one out of my dome light is this and has a 4mm or 1/8inch "Torx" Head. But a Phillips head would do just fine.
I wouldn't worry too much about the pointy end, as this would just be to locate the screw into the hole.

I'll go and put it back now.....

Attachments

• IMG_0039.jpg
    IMG_0039.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 283

2O4TS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 9C1
Be very careful to choose short screws. The ones in the VT centre dome light I think may be too long. Some people have put upward dents in their roof installing VY sunglass holders because the screws they used were too long.

I have a rough template but I'm not home so... Just make a rough sketch on paper around the outside of your VY light, cut a couple centimetres inside that and test the template with your light before cutting your roof lining. Adjust template as necessary. It's easy.

Another tip, don't use the screw holes you see in the centre of the roof that will line up with the holes in your VY holder. They're too far toward the front of the car. I did mine about 8mm towards the back of the car I think from the existing holes. I ain't going out in the rain and pulling it out just to check so all I can advise is to thoroughly check before drilling and screwing in that light.

Last edited:

Dayvo

Because i can
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 2
Be very careful to choose short screws. The ones in the VT centre dome light I think may be too long. Some people have put upward dents in their roof installing VY sunglass holders because the screws they used were too long.

I have a rough template but I'm not home so... Just make a rough sketch on paper around the outside of your VY light, cut a couple centimetres inside that and test the template with your light before cutting your roof lining. Adjust template as necessary. It's easy.

Another tip, don't use the screw holes you see in the centre of the roof that will line up with the holes in your VY holder. They're too far toward the front of the car. I did mine about 8mm towards the back of the car I think from the existing holes. I ain't going out in the rain and pulling it out just to check so all I can advise is to thoroughly check before drilling and screwing in that light.
I used the existing holes In the bracket . I thought I was going to have to move mine back as well but in the VT to VX series 1 there is no cut out in the mounting bracket in the roof for the locating lug on the sunglass holder . So I just cut it off with a hacksaw then used the original screw holes .