Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY super6 manual?

03 VY S

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY S
Hey, jw why factory VY Super6's did not come out in a manual. Im guesing its got somehing to do with the gearbox not being able to handle it or something along the lines.

I have a manual 6 and a factory Supercharger off a vy v6 Auto. Jw if i would experience any big problems if i installed it. Im keen to try it but would like to know any infomation about if possible. I know in most situations you cant just bolt on a supercharger but im really just after the reasons why holden did not give the option of a super6 manual.

Cheers.

HARVZ-6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT spac super6
The getrag 5 speed is s**t

You would have to be farely gentle to make it last... but if looked after it will probably handle it,,

As for a reason the most common story is they knew it would be a deadly combination..
An auto super6 gives gen3s with only mild work a run for their money,, with a manual the extra pick up would make them an absolute weapon

SweetWagon

booosted
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina Wagon Supercharged
It should handle it ok with single mass flywheel and a decent HD clutch, but as said, the super 6 ran different rods/pistons, heads etc. top end conversions can be done but mostly much easier to source a complete motor with all the bits!

Reaction score
Members Ride
supercharged vt II acclaim
^^^^^ WHAT HE SAID, its a hell of alot easier getting a whole s/c motor,plus will be stronger...

as for no manual g'boxes, i herd its cause the l67's have too much torque..... \\

people do convert them to manual thou, just with all the good bits in em

Decicrate

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS L67
The L67 was not released with a manual for several reasons.
The VS was the first of the L67 releases and Holden were in the process of getting rid of the T5 gear box and going to the GETRAG.

To run the GETRAG and keep it quite enough for the average new car owner Holden had to use a duel mass flywheel, these have a habit of failing rather quickly if you gave the car a hard time constantly or if you added more power by modifying the engine. The L67 would of destroyed the duel mass even quicker, so this was seen as the first weak spot. The next issue was that the gearbox itself was not designed to handle the instant torque that the L67 is able to deliver and Holden couldn't be bothered changing the running gear for a handful of cars.
Having a VS L67 manual myself, I can tell you that they are one of the most fun Commodores that I have driven.

With converting over, as others have said, look for a complete engine and ECU/PCM, its is far cheaper to do it this way than what it is trying to convert your engine over.
For bang for buck, converting to an L67 is a far better option than building up a N/A V6. (torque to dollar ratio).

chargedvx6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SII HBD Calais L67
/\/\/\/\ Good advice there.

I have a mate that is running 230rwkws in a L67 powered VT with a Getrag. Has been doing so for 3 or so years and only needed to do a single mass clutch conversion and still going fine on stock diameter clutch. I suspect it slips a tad but is still serviceable nonetheless

Decicrate

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS L67
Well im looking at buying a vx s/c but i really really hate auto's. What have you guys done that have converted gearboxes, like what gearbox's did you use, did you strengthen any of it? I'm only looking at running 10psi IF i get a s/c model

If you want a manual L67 VX you would be better off buying a VX V6 with the 5 speed already there. It is far easier and cheaper to put the L67 engine into a manual equipped car than what it is to convert an existing L67 VX to a manual.
I run a Mal Woods RR T56 six speed with a 10.5' flywheel and a heavily modified LS1 clutch, this is a little over board for a street car and a very expensive option.
If you had a GETRAG 5 speed and replaced the duel mass with a billet job and didn't drive around doing clutch dumps every where you should get a decent life span out of the box.