Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY SV8 Tonner

crackles23

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 5 Litre
wow cool as, first VY 1 tonner i've seen yet, very very nice work man, well done.

ADEM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Exec
Mate great lookin tonner, I own one myself too although it is only a V6 version. Ill have to make a bit of a thread for mine now that Ive done a few new additions so it doesnt look like a complete farm truck haha. You planning on lowering it at all? Ive just picked up some lowering blocks for the rear and will get the front done when Im back at work once my wrist heals.

Quick question on your fuel consumption, generally how much do you get to a tank? Apart from the lack of power in comparison to the 8's Im really not loving my **** fuel consumption, enough that Im considering selling mine to buy either a VY or VZ SS tonner.

chevy_big_block_bro

Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
VYII SV8 One tonner
Mate great lookin tonner, I own one myself too although it is only a V6 version. Ill have to make a bit of a thread for mine now that Ive done a few new additions so it doesnt look like a complete farm truck haha. You planning on lowering it at all? Ive just picked up some lowering blocks for the rear and will get the front done when Im back at work once my wrist heals.

Quick question on your fuel consumption, generally how much do you get to a tank? Apart from the lack of power in comparison to the 8's Im really not loving my **** fuel consumption, enough that Im considering selling mine to buy either a VY or VZ SS tonner.
Well for a start the Tonner never came out in an SS, Just an SV8
Only difference is no SS seats, dash etc and no FE2 suspension.

As for fuel economy its pretty good at around 9.8L / 100km on the highway but who know's how much fuel is actually in the tank.

I tried to fit FE2 springs but it raised it as the Tonner shocks have the spring plate welded on higher to accommodate the large aspect ratio of the load rated tires. Ill be chucking some FE2 spec shocks in to go with the springs one day but I don't want it too low and I'm lowering the tray its self down on to the rails instead of dropping the suspension.

Here's the latest update, smoothed out the rocker covers

_DSC3074.jpg

_DSC3109.jpg

_DSC3111.jpg

_DSC3120.jpg

_DSC3121.jpg

gazatron

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy one tonner v8
i got a vy v8 one tonner i love it, they r hard to find if u want to buy one, mine has got full exhaust, otr and mafless tune, with the 6 speed manual behind it goes hard for a work ute, does ur rear end squeek, mine is shocking not sure if its the rubbers on the shackels or the shockes any ideas? that grill looks sweet wat did u use to cut the the middle normal grinder or something like a dremel, i loves the wheels on urs to, cheers.

chevy_big_block_bro

Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
VYII SV8 One tonner
Mine squeaks like a bitch and im not 100% sure where its coming from. I was looking at getting a set of 4x4 greasable shackles with the grease nipples but no luck finding them. If you do a search around, you'll come across the explanation for all the noise. Apparently the chassis design is a newish 2 piece design thats way stronger than the design of the old WB tonner etc. Its pretty much a half cut sedan bolted to a rear chassis and you'll see what I mean if you park next to a sedan and have a look under.

This has a drawback though. Every squeak is amplified and the diff whine is ridiculously loud.

I cut the center of the grille out with a dremel and a hacksaw blade and then plastic welded up the holes it left behind. It was one hell of a pain to get the the perforated ally to fit. Its a strange angle.

gazatron

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy one tonner v8
hey i just replaced the bushes in the shacles cause mine where stuffed still didnt fix it, but i have ordered some tront eye bushes for the front of the leaf so wt happens when i replace them, then i might try new shockis one cause they might be the noise and one i want a firmer ride, i'll let u know how i go. tell u wat this model is so hard to find parts for you cant even get much info on the tonner out of a workshop book either.

cant u just get any old greesale shakes and put them on?

chevy_big_block_bro

Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
VYII SV8 One tonner
I haven't really looked to far into it yet. There's so many different sizes .

On the tonner they're
M14 bolts
90mm between bolt centers
120mm between the 2 plates
Ive looked up and down for the plates that are 90mm between centers (holes I can drill out)

I've thought about making the plate up but haven't got around to it yet.

I know that Pedders have all the leaf bushes in stock and are pretty reasonably prices.

Oh, while I think of it. Grease up the brake bias spring and see if that makes a difference. Its the big spring thats attached via a chain to the diff

Last edited:

gazatron

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy one tonner v8
i was wondering wat that spring is for, do i just greese the spring it self? i have to replace my centre bearing aswell so that might eliminate some vibrations and noise to. i'll let u know how i go with these things!