Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vy temp guage and fans and error messages

fixitphil

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx wagon stock
Hi all. Babysitting a vy berlina wagon v6 for my workmate and want to fix some things for him to say thanks. First off a mech tried to test the ecu and it told him it was a calais ecu!!??. When driving it displays abs error srs error and check engine and also service error. Also the temp guage doesn't move off cold and the fans come on about 5 seconds after starting from cold and stay on. I went through the service display and the coolant temperature says minus 40 degrees Celsius. I have just put in a new temp sensor and it made no difference. I have tried resetting the ecu by disconnecting the battery and pumping the brake lights. I also unplugged the ecu and replugged it in. It hasn't always played up since he bought the car so I assume the ecu must have worked at some stage. The motor runs fine and seems strong so I think its worth fixing. Thanks people

Last edited:

lowandslow

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 III Monaro
ABS unit is probably cactus.

lowandslow

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 III Monaro
You would have to find out what tune is in the ECU. Berlina and Calais might have shared the same ECU code as it's of a higher spec than say an Exec.
You just can't go swapping ECU's without getting it linked to the BCM which requires a tech2 tool and doing that the operator would have been able to see if anything was a miss then?
Seems strange that it was fine then all of a sudden this starts.
The alarms and the fans coming on sound like what happens when you try to log data from the car and are upsetting the communication between the different modules hence why im thinking ABS module as it can cause all sorts of wonderful stuff to happen.

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
Unplug the wiring connector off the abs module and see if all your issues go away. When the abs unit takes a **** it ties up the data bus and causes the fans to run and no temp reading on the dash etc

fixitphil

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx wagon stock
You would have to find out what tune is in the ECU. Berlina and Calais might have shared the same ECU code as it's of a higher spec than say an Exec.
You just can't go swapping ECU's without getting it linked to the BCM which requires a tech2 tool and doing that the operator would have been able to see if anything was a miss then?
The alarms and the fans coming on sound like what happens when you try to log data from the car and are upsetting the communication between the different modules hence why im thinking ABS module as it can cause all sorts of wonderful stuff to happen.
So I should pick up an abs module and give that a try?

fixitphil

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx wagon stock
So I should pick up an abs module and give that a try?
It is possible that the previous owner did the ecu himself. My mate is not really mech minded and cant remember what was happening when he bought the car. He did say it already showed srs fault when he bought it.

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
As delcowizzid already suggested, unplug the ABS module and see if the issues go away. The ABS warning light will stay on though. No need to buy a new module until you determine whether that is the problem. Forget about the ECU.

fixitphil

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx wagon stock
As delcowizzid already suggested, unplug the ABS module and see if the issues go away. The ABS warning light will stay on though. No need to buy a new module until you determine whether that is the problem. Forget about the ECU.
Thanks man!! Unplugged the abs and now the fans aren't coming on and I'm getting a coolant temp reading in the service menu. There is another post about a guy who soldered the posts inside the abs module so I'm giving that a try this arvo. Thanks guys

fixitphil

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx wagon stock
Unplug the wiring connector off the abs module and see if all your issues go away. When the abs unit takes a **** it ties up the data bus and causes the fans to run and no temp reading on the dash etc
Yup the problems go away. I didn't see your post till today. All good. I'm going to try a repair first which is posted here. A guy soldered all the posts together inside his module. Apparently they crack apart over time. Will post the result.