Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vy Traction Control

ucrvme

[UCRVME]
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 Holden VY Berlina
Hey Guys - i have a maybe a stupid question to ask, but i'm keen to get the correct answer!
This is regarding Traction Control - i've been told never turn it on only if its wet and others who swear have it always on - and then some who say put it on but take it off when you go over bumps or on freeways.

i'm so confussed cause i normally just keep it on never had any issue (touch wood) please give me your thoughts

ps - im sorry if this has been covered anywere else -

alien

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY Supercharged 3.8L
Yea, depends on how you drive. The Traction control feature is designed with all road users in mind. If you dont know how to drive a vehicle properly then it should stay on.

However, i always turn it off in the heavy wet times. For the simple fact that it's almost gotten me into trouble a few times with it on. And i can control the vehicle better in the really wet situations by myself.

Today wasn't that wet, so i left it on, and because i've now adjusted to driving with it in the light wet i was able to get on the on ramp with oncomming traffic, straighten up and hit the gas at the right time after i'd straigtened up to accelerate. Thats where traction control is ok. But heavier rain and i find it worse.

As for bumps and freeways, leave it on, all it does is monitor during these situations and doesn't harm anything.

Skooby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II SS
In turn it off in the car every time I hop in, because thats the way I like it.

I do however leave it on, for when I am in the wet on the freeways.

alien

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY Supercharged 3.8L
This morning again, it proves to me it's useless in some situations where i came around a corner under the speed limit, coming onto a bridge over a creek, vehicle ended up facing the sides of the bridge and then traction control kicked in and i lost power to get out of the situation. Onlyhad steering to get out of it..... I probably hit an oil patch or a small patch of black ice. Rear tyres are well within legal limits too, so shouldnt have done it. Without it on i would've been able to handle it better. However, like i said, if you dont know how ot handle it properly in those situations then i suppose it's better to have it on. Even if your vehicle is not facing the direction of travel.....

VYMAD

SILVERFOX
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY EXECUTIVE S2
Sounds like I'm glad I've never owned a car that's had t/c!!! LOL.

jonnyturbo

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VYII SS
yep totally agree with alien. can be dangerous in certain situation's where you need power at the wheel's.... spin out's, pulling out into the road and some ******** come's around the corner doing twice the legal at you etc etc. i just turn it off every time i jump in especially when i know the driving condition's will make it kick in unnecessarily.

D-Man

All over it...
Reaction score
Website
www.nextdigital.com
Members Ride
99 VT Calais II v6
the only traction control you should need is the right foot and your brain...on or off is up to you mate.

as for bumps and freeways? i thought it was to only limit the power to the wheels, and bumps or freeways wouldnt matter? correct me if im wrong there... eg - wheel starts to spin freely (burnout, wet conditions, dirt road or what ever it happens to be) it will kick in, and stop that by slowing down the revs, when it is on - if you put your foot to the floor and give it alot you should hear the engine splutter and carry on (this is stopping the wheels from freely spinning) which is what it is meant to do.

driving sensibly this shouldnt be a factor as you should allow time for cars to pass etc and only go when it is safe therefore not needing to put your foot to the floor.