Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY Trying to understand suspension, I need a quick lesson.

BakeTheTank

Phreddy-ed UP!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S Series II
Hey guys,
Hope your day is well and your commy is better.
I’m trying to understand why my back left wheel arch is dragging on my tyre when I had a little bit of weight (60kg person)
I have a VY S II with SSL King Springs in the back. Koni Adjustable shocks and SuperPro bushes.
I thought the shocks had gone, but is it in fact that my spring might be sagging? It happens randomly (on certain parking angles) and only when somebody sits in the back.
Looking for any advice,
Cheers

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Couple factors is maybe the wheel offset is a bit different.
If a complete set of wheels, maybe 2 were designed for the back and 2 for the fronts and now miss matched perhaps

Definitely get guards rolled but springs can also sag over time

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
You mention parking angles, so you must give consideration to the fact when the car is toward the kerb, the car angle in itself means you have weight transfer to the passenger side meaning it will be lower and closer to the guard.
Add 60 kg and it gets even lower still.
Drive off from the kerb and even more weight transfer occurs toward the passenger side.

Try putting the 60 kg on the drivers side rear seat and park on the wrong side of the road, then the drivers rear wheel may hit the guard also, but if it does not, then your suspension may be offset so start measuring wheels to guards etc ., also height from road to guards while on level road/concrete with no weight in the car..