Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vy Turbo

Brad094

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 SSvRedline
Hey guys, recently been thinking about turbo charging my 2004 vy ute. It's in mint condition and don't want to upgrade to a newer ute.
Would I be better off upgrading to a V8 or spending some time and effort and chucking a turbo under the hood??

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Much better off selling the car and buying a v8. Will be much, much cheaper and easier.

If you decide you'd like to turbo the v6, have a chat to your insurance company - a lot of them won't insure anything that has an aftermarket/non standard turbo/supercharger

BookMe

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
The cost to turbo your v6. Would be the same to buy a ls1 powered car, and then have around the same power.
Better off buying a v8 and if you spend money on it, you'll have heaps more power then a turbo v6.

*turbo v6's can still make good power, but IMO not worth it for the cost.

Brad094

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 SSvRedline
Cheers guys. Well I'm not ready to part ways with my ute just yet. So a quick follow up question.
What are some ways I can make my v6 more powerful?

Husky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII L67 Berlina Wagon and VEIISSV M6 Sportswagon
Cheers guys. Well I'm not ready to part ways with my ute just yet. So a quick follow up question.
What are some ways I can make my v6 more powerful?

Most of the guys on this forum will rip your head off for even thinking that question,and all say that you are wasting money and blah blah blah buy an 8. So I'll get in here real quick. I own an 8, but still love driving my Ecotec daily, and have done a fair bit to make it better, more economical and more drivable. Not saying it's much faster, but for the money I have spent I'm happy.

MACE stuff will give you more punch and low down, most people like the Plenum spacer, Manifold insulator and CAI, I have the spacer and CAI and love it. I would get the Insulator but i like having an engine cover on. The rocker upgrade also give a bit more poke, but are a bit more costly. they are on my future list.

A good exhaust will free up the engine and make it sound a lot better. YOU CANNOT MAKE A 6 SOUND LIKE AN 8, but you can make it sound great, people get these things confused. forum member Not_an_abba_fan set me up with a Manta catback and I love it, there's a video in my build thread. Extractors will also help.

If your car is auto, a Shift kit is a must. I haven't bothered with a corvette servo and the kit makes the changes sharp enough.

Diff gears will really liven the car up and get it off the line a lot faster. They do lower the top speed, but that will never be an issue on public roads. I would go 3.45 for an auto and 3.73 for a manual. may as well get an LSD while you are at it.

Sway bars will make the car steer like a go kart. i have heavy duty front and rear iin my wagon and intend to do the same in my ute.

As always, if you are a p plater make sure you know what is legal as it really effects what you can do.

Fletch_QLD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU II SS
Nice post Husky.

Yeh - it's worth it. Spend a bit here, a bit there, put in the time, give your car some love - that's what it's all about.
It'll never go as fast as an xr6turbo, even if you spend the same amount of money on it - but it will be your car. Ownership is about more than spending money.

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
Hes not asking about some MDF wood and an exhaust. Hes asking about outlaying lets say somewhere in the vicinity of 7-8k on a Turbo kit.

Theres a huge difference between doing some simple and cheap mods and outlaying what is essentially, what the car costs on a modification.

Is it worth it? Well you asked for our opinions and asked if its worth just buying a V8.

No its not worth it. If you love the car, yeah look it might be to you. But if youre asking us from a Cost v Gain v Potential and looking at a Ecotec or an LS. Buy an LS.

You can pick up VY SS's for 8k nowadays. Which is only slightly more than what your current car would fetch.

If you arent ready to part with the Ute, understandable, just wait. Do some of those small mods. Chuck some wheels on it, maybe a nice exhaust and just give it a bit more personality.

Bowen

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX S manual 3.8L SP
If you can't do all the modification and fabrication it's not worth it..... You can do a turbo set up for $2K if you can make your own manifolds, dump, piping, mounting etc

Not saying buy an 8 just saying if you can't fabricate and mod yourself it will cost a fortune.... I love a turbo 6

Bowen

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX S manual 3.8L SP
Depends how you drive technicAlly speaking your increasing your engines efficentcy but in reality your going to use more throttle lets face it your not going to spend thousands to drive like grandma.... I would imagine round the same? 12-14L per 100 conservativelyish driving