Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY Ute - Fuel Filling Problem

Benniee

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
I've got a problem with my VY Ute. Over the last couple of fuel fillups the filling pump keeps clicking out before I've hardly got any fuel in there - and I'm not talking about getting 3/4 of a tank, I'm talking getting 1 to 2 litres in there.

I end up slowly (very slowly) topping it up to about 20 bucks worth. Takes about 5 mins to get there.

It's only started doing this recently so I'm thinking there is probably a blockage in there somewhere. Being a ute I think the access panels are fair easy to get to from the tray - but any pointers as to where I should start would be great.

What should I look for first, filler hose itself or a breather line somewhere?

I took a close look at it this morning and I can see fuel foaming out from two small slots above the spring loaded flap in the filler line - that's probably a really bad description sorry.

Thanks,
Benniee

STEEV888

Reaction score
Members Ride
'95 200sx.
have you used a different fuel station or have the fuel station you are using changed pumps. because i found that mobil fuel stations would never like filling up my pagero because of the angle of the nozzle it would always cut out
and at the metro i have to have it 3 - 4 inches out of the car (but the end still in) to get it to fill my excel.
no problems with the vy though.

db_notso

diagnostic technician...
Reaction score
Members Ride
vt v6, mods(susp brakesetc...)
is either angle of nozzle
try holding nozzle upside down
or try not putting it in so far

could be air block in pumps

one very rare one i had was that tank was already full and the fuel (mra) reader inside tank was reading incorrectly
otherwise could be a sticking flap in the tank outlet (where it connects to rubber hose you fill it from)
this is rare though

Manta_268

Reaction score
Website
www.dmtagency.com.au
Members Ride
VX Acclaim S2 Wag, VE SV6 Z-Series Ute
I've got a problem with my VY Ute. Over the last couple of fuel fillups the filling pump keeps clicking out before I've hardly got any fuel in there - and I'm not talking about getting 3/4 of a tank, I'm talking getting 1 to 2 litres in there.

I end up slowly (very slowly) topping it up to about 20 bucks worth. Takes about 5 mins to get there.

It's only started doing this recently so I'm thinking there is probably a blockage in there somewhere. Being a ute I think the access panels are fair easy to get to from the tray - but any pointers as to where I should start would be great.

What should I look for first, filler hose itself or a breather line somewhere?

I took a close look at it this morning and I can see fuel foaming out from two small slots above the spring loaded flap in the filler line - that's probably a really bad description sorry.

Thanks,
Benniee

Did you ever work what it was? I have just picked up a VY Ute from the fleet at work after having previous vehicle smashed and it is doing the same thing when filling up. I have tried heaps of different servo with no luck.

juzzy61

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Ute S Series 2 2004
ive also got a vy ute had it for about two years now the the guy i bought it off said that vy utes had a problem from factory and that the fuel cuts out when fueling mine clicks at about 50 litres so when it clicks i have 2 fill it up very slow for 10 litres but it takes me bout 5 minutes to get there im now interested if there is a fix?

baby_troupe

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega Dual Fuel
I had a VY "S" ute for 8 years and it did it almost all the time with the nozzle in what most people see as the correct position.
Twist it 90 degrees either way and you can then squeeze the trigger 3/4 to full and will fill much quicker.
Sold the old girl last year with almost 400,000km on the clock.

juzzy61

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Ute S Series 2 2004
i might try that swell

if you dont mind me asking how much did u sell it for?

baby_troupe

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega Dual Fuel
I got 4.5K as a trade in on VE Omega Sedan
They yard tried to sell it for 9.5K
Was dual fuel in hothouse green with lockable (Holden Genuine) hard cover.

vx_commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore 'S
I got 4.5K as a trade in on VE Omega Sedan
They yard tried to sell it for 9.5KWas dual fuel in hothouse green with lockable (Holden Genuine) hard cover.

Bargain!!!

baby_troupe

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega Dual Fuel
Bargain!!!
It was struggling a bit.
2 weeks b4 I sold it, it had a flatbed ride for alternator failure.
Battery was sad and there were other gremlins (high mileage related)
I knew it was time

I do still miss it though, as it was quicker off the mark than the VE and cornered much better.

IMG00029.jpg

Was replaced with

IMG00287-20120122-1647_2.jpg