Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vy ute regency defect in Adelaide is it worth getting the defect off?

VZ_SV6_6Speed

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ SV6 6 Speed Manual
The other day my brother was driving my vy ute that I've only had for a few months and got pulled over and had the book thrown at him for everything they could find which was rear tyres being on the wear lines, too low which was only because I had my tools in the back, too loud which was fair enough, leaking steering arms and there is a gas system that is disconnected but hasnt been removed. so my main question is has anyone got a vy commodore ute or similar to pass thru regency in Adelaide before and how much did it cost and in the end was it worth it? Cheers.

Aus78Formula

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX R8 Clubsport
No sympathy. You bought it like that, had months to repair it and install tyres and fix suspension. Tools huh. Rubbish.

VZ_SV6_6Speed

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ SV6 6 Speed Manual
I wasn't asking for your sympathy mate! I'm looking for some help to see if anyone has been in the same situation that could give me some advice. Must have a sad life if you just going round making comments like that on peoples post.

99notout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Equip Wagon
From memory about $170 odd for an inspection and another $90 or there about per subsequent inspection. Clean everything up underneath with some degreaser, replace the tyres, fix the exhaust and make sure your brakes are in good repair, and be respectful and polite you might get away with the one inspection.

Aus78Formula

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX R8 Clubsport
You missed the point. Simple maintenance and the cops tend to ignore one or two things or offer a warning. Lowered suspension and loud exhaust is just standard stuff but when they see bald tyres they only see someone with no respect for safety on the road and here comes the book.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
... I'm looking for some help to see if anyone has been in the same situation that could give me some advice...
never been defected as my vehicles are always roadworthy and thus legal.

So, advice is to fix ALL the listed defects (which could be costly if you need new springs and/or shocks as well as new tyres). Then go over the whole vehicle with a very critical eye on all the roadworthy items basically everything on this list and more...).

Where there is a mod you are not sure whether it’s legal or not, most likely it’s illegal but best to ask them before your inspection. Then if needed and sort it out, otherwise it can turn into a back and forth exercise which just adds to the frustration and cost.

PS: ride height is measured fully laden so your tools being in the back had nothing to do with the defect though your brothers attitude may have contributed to the length of the list (that’s one class of people you don’t want to be pissing off)

ant797

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s
No sympathy. You bought it like that, had months to repair it and install tyres and fix suspension. Tools huh. Rubbish.
Yeah everyone's got oodles of money to put into t
never been defected as my vehicles are always roadworthy and thus legal.

So, advice is to fix ALL the listed defects (which could be costly if you need new springs and/or shocks as well as new tyres). Then go over the whole vehicle with a very critical eye on all the roadworthy items basically everything on this list and more...).

Where there is a mod you are not sure whether it’s legal or not, most likely it’s illegal but best to ask them before your inspection. Then if needed and sort it out, otherwise it can turn into a back and forth exercise which just adds to the frustration and cost.

PS: ride height is measured fully laden so your tools being in the back had nothing to do with the defect though your brothers attitude may have contributed to the length of the list (that’s one class of people you don’t want to be pissing off)
depends who you are realy as mentioned if your a tribe with native tital and political connections coppers get reemed if they bother you if your a biker with a club and have lawyers they also wont bother you unless there doing a blitz and feeling gamey ..its just everyday people like you and me that have to watch everything they do and say and cop a fine or a hiding for every little thing they do or say that concerns crims cops or natives

Aus78Formula

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX R8 Clubsport
Can't afford cheap tyres but can afford defects and fines. Good luck with that logic. Maybe a push bike is more suited to your income level.

Last edited:

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
You missed the point. Simple maintenance and the cops tend to ignore one or two things or offer a warning. Lowered suspension and loud exhaust is just standard stuff but when they see bald tyres they only see someone with no respect for safety on the road and here comes the book.

Got to wonder then...A copper sees bad tyres on your car and it's a cop shop defect...Lowered cars automatic Regency defect...

Yes both are as bad as the other, but only one is an automatic Regency defect....Wonder why?

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
I think there is probably a big disjoint in what cops think “simple maintenance” is and what the owner thinks “simple maintenance” is. That’s the problem and usually results in the owner arcing up and the number of defects then increases proportionally.

Me, i tend to think a little more like the police, that ones car should be roadworthy at all times but some defects can occur without warning. So a blown tail light could be considered a lack of simple maintenance but bald tyres don’t occur overnight and are more telling of the owners maintenance habits (lack thereof) while being a huge safety risk.

Such lax maintenance habits, where tyres are bald, don’t garner the owner any sympathy. Simply put, if they can’t afford to drive a roadworthy vehicle, they should learn to ride a bike.

Also, poorly executed mods that are obviously illegal and alters the vehicles behaviour significantly can be death traps (lowered utes carrying heavy loads in the back being no exception) or they belch lots of pollution that others then breath in and suffer the ill effects.

Seriously, either the owner doesn’t know the roadworthy rules (they should) or they don’t car (they should). Not understanding or simply ignoring the law is not an excuse but oddly with the later types they whine like stuck pigs when they are caught out.

However, I agreeing part with you @vc commodore. What I also don’t like is the huge variance that exists when people are pulled up and their cars inspected. The law should be clear and applied consistently. But probably where we differ is that I’d rather a very clinical and methodical interpretation with no regard to the owner’s whining.

Cars should always be roadworthy so I’d even send owners with blown brake, indicator or headlamps to the pits. Why? it’s easy for the owner to check them before you drive off and it also shouldn’t be the polices job to tell you everything that’s wrong with your car. Police should only determine if you can safely drive it away to get it fixed or whether it needs to be trucked away.

In my mind if they find one fault you should be forced to get the car to roadworthy condition which must entail a trip to the mechanics/panel shop and inspection station so it can be fully checked out. The cost of compliance? well consider it just as if it’s a fine for not maintaining your vehicle correctly o_O

With a consistently applied hard line, maybe more vehicles would be roadworthy cause I see lots that simply shouldn’t be on the roads :oops: