Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY V6 Air Con Blues

Alcyone

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 2003 V6 Ecotec
Last summer the air con was fine just a bit lacking. Also the blower wasn't blowing 100% maybe just 50%. Pulled the blower out and cleaned it. Got it running nice again and also cleaned all the vents out best I could. Put blower back in it ran like a champ. Then went to get air con regassed and when in the shop, they said it 'might' have an issue with the transfer valve but it came good and worked fine while giving it a few revs. It would come good then not then good then not then good etc. On the drive home it kicked in and worked flawlessly for a few weeks. Other day I got in and the blower wouldn't do nothing. No low or high speed. I pulled it back out and plugged it into a battery and it worked fine. Voltage to blower in the car was fine too. Hooked it back up and everything went back to normal.
Then yesterday the whole system went back to the state it was in last summer. Not really blowing cold air and like the blower was only at 50%. I felt the air con line just before it comes into the car through the firewall and it was coldish but not freezing. Now today it's not even getting cold. Mum said she heard a strange grinding noise from behind the centre air vents when she turned the air con on so she turned it off. I never heard the noise though yesterday I heard like a deep whistling airy sound from behind there. I felt the air con line going from the compressor to the condenser (near the radiator) and it was so hot. Turned the air con off afraid of doing damage.
Place that did the work said they could take the gas back out (this is when we had the work done) and replace the transfer valve and then put the gas back in. How much would that cost do you reckon? But is that what the problem is? They have this big automated unit so I guess they can save the gas for us. They said we could take it back but didn't quote on prices except for the compressor.
Any thoughts on if this is the transfer vale, compressor, condensor...?? Would be good to have an idea before we went back as they quoted $900 for a compressor (Delphi 5yr warranty) which I can get off eBay exactly the same for $370 and fit myself if they take the gas out.

Alcyone

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 2003 V6 Ecotec
Been watching videos and reading up on HVAC systems. Does it sound logical to try and follow, after the compressor, the high line heat with an infrared thermometer? Kinda got ballpark what the temps should be after each section but no way to check the pressure. Thinking it sounds like a stuck open or shut transfer valve. Would it be bad etiquette to pick one up and take it in with me to the same place that did the work? Ask them to remove the gas, swap the valve over and just pay them for the labour? Mum said he quoted $90+ for the valve 'depending' but I can pick a new one up for $40. Does this one look okay to use? 20% off until Monday :)

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Air-Conditioning-TX-valve-oring-Fits-Holden-Commodore-VT-VX-VY-VZ-all-V6-V8/291031729133?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

Last edited:

jhvh777

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 vy storm ute
Well 2 weeks ago my aircon died suddenly after not using the car for 3 weeks straight, just loud hissing noise from behind the dash no cold air at all, turns out was the TX valve, got a quote for $750 to replace that and the drier and a exchange compressor.

This valve bolts onto the LHS of firewall and when I put my finger underneath it there was oil there.

jhvh777

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 vy storm ute
I wouldn't think twice to take the part in if I were you, and have them fit it, they'll do it you're a recent customer not someone who just walked in off the street.

Alcyone

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 2003 V6 Ecotec
Well 2 weeks ago my aircon died suddenly after not using the car for 3 weeks straight, just loud hissing noise from behind the dash no cold air at all, turns out was the TX valve, got a quote for $750 to replace that and the drier and a exchange compressor.

This valve bolts onto the LHS of firewall and when I put my finger underneath it there was oil there.
I think we got a bit of the hissing noise too but no oil. I'm still stumped what the grinding noise was. How much oil did you find there? They add some oil I think after they empty the system and refill it or if they replace the compressor. Not sure how much exactly. I guess if you had oil coming from up there then it's kinda the only place it could come from.
Did you go ahead with the work? The link I put above, the place is in Wangaratta and does genuine Delphi compressors too. They also do all the air con parts for what seems like a really cheap price. I guess $750 for a new compressor with those other parts, labour and a refill isn't too bad. I can't cope when someone says they want $900 just for a compressor.

Great time of year for the air con to fail!

Alcyone

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 2003 V6 Ecotec
I wouldn't think twice to take the part in if I were you, and have them fit it, they'll do it you're a recent customer not someone who just walked in off the street.
Yeah I think I will. Smallish country town too so it would be good for their rep to look after me. I'll order it in the morning or just head in and pick it up as I only live 40 mins away. I can pick everything up which I'm seriously contemplating. Compressor, condensor, dryer, tx valve, evap core, o-rings all for under $500 so contemplating just replacing everything as the car is over 360,000 km's now.

Alcyone

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 2003 V6 Ecotec
Or should I just get the tx valve done, refilled and be content? How long would a factory compressor last up to do you reckon for a good life? They said it didn't have any leaks in the system. I had a squiz up at the evap core and it has a bit of dust on it but not as bad as I've seen on some photos. Dryer looks a bit worse for wear and the condenser has seen better days but not leaking. I gave it a good clean not too long ago. Still have to check the temps but hard to tell the condition of everything until it's running properly and the pressures are stable both sides. I'm far from being a car or air con expert. Just don't want to get them to take the gas out, swap the tx valve, put the gas back in and then have another issue.

Alcyone

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 2003 V6 Ecotec
Not much dust he says. I just uploaded the photos from my phone for a better look...:rolleyes:

IMAG5569 (Medium).jpg
IMAG5568 (Medium).jpg

Alcyone

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 2003 V6 Ecotec

Do you reckon that hissing noise is gas escaping??? What could a grinding noise be when air con is turned on if it's not the compressor clutch? Anyone?

jhvh777

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 vy storm ute
There was enough oil to leave a coating on my fingertip and the hissing noise loud enough in the engine bay so it's definitely the problem. Didn't get it fixed 750 is too much just after Christmas and he said the compressor was "probably leaking too" so yeah it's a good price but I'm swapping the comp out for what exactly ??? Ultra reliable aircon in a 15yr old car? Getting another opinion this week though.