Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY V6 Ecotec Oil plug / gasket / cavity questions...

Alcyone

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 2003 V6 Ecotec
(1) Can I put an oil pressure sender unit in here? It seems to be the same size thread as the OEM sensor which I think is 1/4" NPT? (Yellow arrow)

(2) When putting on the oil filter housing gasket, should I add any sealant to it? The OEM one which came off seemed to have a real thin bead of something on it. The replacement gasket is a Permaseal cardboard job. I have some blue RTV on hand which I was thinking of using.

(3) The oil filter housing bolts had some white thread sealant on them from factory. Should I be using anything when putting them back in? The workshop manual doesn't mention anything about it.

(4) Also, when the workshop manual says to fill the cavity behind the oil gears with vaseline, does it mean to completely fill the space 'in front' of the gears? There's 2 areas with arrows pointing to them in the pic. Is it just me or is it weird to put vaseline in there? (Yellow arrows)

(all pictures borrowed from the internet)

(1) Oil Gallery Plug Hole?
v6 ecotec assembly - Copy.jpg

(4) Vaseline in here?
vy v6 oil pump housing behind front cover.jpg

Cheers :)

Last edited:

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
I use permatex number 3 on most gaskets. If that gasket has rubbery stuff on the surface you probably don't need any extra sealant. If not then a LITTLE bit of your blue stuff should be fine if says it's suitable for oil applications.
The vaso helps prime the pump ie helps suck the oil up to it on the first start. It's a bit weird but better than the oil light staying on and you having to pull it apart again. Maybe there's another way round it.

Alcyone

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 2003 V6 Ecotec
I use permatex number 3 on most gaskets. If that gasket has rubbery stuff on the surface you probably don't need any extra sealant. If not then a LITTLE bit of your blue stuff should be fine if says it's suitable for oil applications.
The vaso helps prime the pump ie helps suck the oil up to it on the first start. It's a bit weird but better than the oil light staying on and you having to pull it apart again. Maybe there's another way round it.
Cheers greenacc :) Makes sense about priming the oil pump. Any thoughts on the upper oil gallery plug ie swapping it out for a sender unit? I want to add an oil pressure gauge and an oil temp gauge for after the rebuild as I'm curious to see how things are. Keeping OEM oil sensor/warning light too. That will make 3 all up so I bought a '+' and rigged it all in together but I don't know if it will fit. Plus it might be too heavy. If I can swap it for a 'T' then put the oil pressure sender up in the top oil gallery hole I'm sure it would all fit fine.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
If that plug taps into a pressurised oil gallery you could give it a go. If it's just a hole where the oil runs back down to the sump then it won't help much :)
I'd say most people just use the hole for the original oil pressure switch but I'd rather keep both as you suggest if it works

Alcyone

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 2003 V6 Ecotec
If that plug taps into a pressurised oil gallery you could give it a go. If it's just a hole where the oil runs back down to the sump then it won't help much :)
I'd say most people just use the hole for the original oil pressure switch but I'd rather keep both as you suggest if it works
I'll give it a shot and let you know how it goes. You might be right about it being a return to the sump though. Pressure gauge will let us know ;)