Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vy V6 ecotec swap to a Alloytec whats involved?

stick3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sedan vs ute gsx1400
The OP was wanting to know about puting an Alloytec into a VY. ...........

i m not here to argue... think if they can fit a alloytec into 1st/2nd gen, a vy would be easy, lot of us older commodore owners will be looking at what engine options we have most people will want a newer engines with less ks, sadly u can t buy a new ecotec s anymore (compare the cost of a ls1 conversion 10 years ago and now) ,i can see this conversion becoming very popular in the future and that will bring the down the cost ,new or 2nd hand 170 190 210 kw alloytec/sidi

henry-k

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Ute
Definitely not worth it mate. If you're really attached to the car your best option would be to get another ecotec (A mate of mine blew the motor in his vs ute and managed to put a 115k old motor in it for around 800 bucks before he even started parting out the donor car). Either that or go the whole hulk and do an LS1 conversion but don't even get me started on how much money and time you waste in converting a 6 to an 8 rather than just buying a factory 8.

GothicKidd

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR S2 Exec
alot of people prefer the ecotec over the alloytec, just chuck a L67 init instead haha.

VSHeaven

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Acclaim S2
Ecotec is a good engine. Very reliable if it's treated right. Just replace your old engine with another ecotec. L67 is a juice guzzler, V8 economy with V6 power.

Tuffvz8

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vn bt1 vz ss
Hi everyone. My Vy V6 needs a new engine soon.
And I was wondering instead of throwing in the cast iron boat anchors. I was entertaining the idea of dropping an alloytec v6 into it.
didnt the Vy's come with both?
mine is a auto wagon. I was thinking about just buying a new block and heads and build my own.

I was just wondering is it a straight drop in?
or do you need to replace the gearboxes as well.

if all I had to do was drop in the sensors and ECU from a Alloytec V6. if it mated to my auto just fine. I would do it.

What do you think they are much lighter, and better engines yea?
Would it be worth doing? has anyone done it ever?

Thanks in advance guys.

Spend your money on rebuilding the ecotec. Alloytecs are known timing chain warriors,unreliable, sound like ****,#### to work on.It is a downgrade from a ecotec

lowandslow

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 III Monaro
Ecotec is a good engine. Very reliable if it's treated right. Just replace your old engine with another ecotec. L67 is a juice guzzler, V8 economy with V6 power.
Constant 9.5L's/100km out of our L67 for the weekly run. 750+ on a trip. Untuned and over 300,000kms so far.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
didn t you read there web site first before you made this comment

Yep, sure did. Did you read it (or the question) before you made yours?

a vy would be easy

Waaay easier said than done. Why anybody would bother putting an Alloytec in a VY when the VZ exists is beyond me. Body is the same as a VZ, so getting it in the bay isn't the problem, it's all the electronics that surround it which is why I suspect V6 Conversions hasn't mentioned it on their page (except for that 1 photo). Getting the ECU to work with the VY BCM I suspect would be the biggest. After browsing PCM hacking, it also seems that nobody knows how to disable VATS (or whatever the Alloytec equivalent is) which is a big problem as the ECU and BCM are linked and any conversion needs the factory ECU (unless it's fitted with LPG) to be road legal.

Last edited:

Goon

Scientific Tuning
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY CUSTOM.
I recently did a ecotec swap with a loom that came with the new rebuilt motor...... no dramas expect getting 2 wire 02 sensors to replace my 4wire sensors i had.

plug n play. shop around for days!!! even travel. i got a bargin for $500 with 114000km

VSHeaven

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Acclaim S2
Constant 9.5L's/100km out of our L67 for the weekly run. 750+ on a trip. Untuned and over 300,000kms so far.

That's better than I expected. I suppose my opinion is based on an expectation that the L67 would get stomped on a lot more than the ecotec.