Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY V6 Elec Issues...

Feral007

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S Crewman
Gday Guys & Gals,

I bought a vy v6 crewman couple of months back now, and im guessing it was played round with by the previous owner.
i have fixed a few issues but there are still some i cant figure out.

i know these cars have had fuel sender issues but mine is fine, the problem im facing is the DTE and avg fuel consumption read out. according to the dash on a full tank its around 950km dte and the avg fuel is saying 6.1l/km...i know for sure this wrong.

also some minor things like interior lights dont work, fuses, relays, door switch are all good and have also replaced new globes... no idea, having same prob with the elec mirrors

if anyone has any pointers that would be great

CrustyDragonSlayer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V Sportswagon MY9.5
I am just making some guesses here. I am not an expert.

If the sender is fine, then maybe be check wiring connections? Maybe unplug and clean connections with circuit board cleaner? In general there can be poor connections in the wiring harness and plugs that connect to the modules or dash. Sometimes unpluging cleaning with circuit board cleaner and reconecting can fix the problem. If you unplug these be very carefull not to bed or damage pins. They can be very fine on control modules.

Can you reset the trip the avg fuel and let it start off at 0l/km?

Can you plug in a scan tool and look at the live data from the sensors involved?

Does engineering mode show fuel values?

Is the battery borderline, are the terminal posts clean, connections and cables good etc

How do you know the fuel sender is fine?

Can you find a factory workshop manual online? I found one for my car that I could download? They hae excellent fault finding procedures.

Feral007

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S Crewman
yea i can reset the trip and stuff, something i have noticed compared to my previous vy and vz the recalibration while driving is a fair bit slower, so you might be onto the cleaning side of things.
i have tried scan tools but they wont read, i think i need a tech2.
battery is new with new terminals and alternator is fine.
i put a new sender card and sender unit plug on and the ohms ratings are within spec.
havent had a look at the engineering mode

CrustyDragonSlayer

Reaction score
Members Ride
What about disconnecting the battery for 30 minutes, and reconnecting, that might reset a calibration value in the ecu and casue it to relearn?
not sure.

If you can find a manual that would tell you if there is a relearn procedure required, and if it requires programming with a tech 2 etc.

Have you tried a scan tool with live data? That would just give you a reading.

Feral007

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S Crewman
ive had the battery disconnected from when i changed the iac due to crap idle, but didnt change the dash reading, ill have a look online tonight for a descent manual, and ill pull the cluster out and give it a clean.
i have tried a few scan tools from friends but can get any of them to read, keep comin up with comms error and wont sync up

CrustyDragonSlayer

Reaction score
Members Ride
I wonder if your car has been tuned, or the ecu played with?

When you say fuel sender is that for the Fuel gauge?

Does the car measure fuel used from the amount of fuel it injects into the cylinders, so it would get this information from the ECU?

Not sure if the information below is applicable in your case:

"For Holden Commodores VT,VX,VY,VZ V6/V8, these only use OBD2 to communicate with engine related data. But use ALDL to communicate between everything else in the car eg radio,cluster,climate control, bcm ect."

Feral007

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S Crewman
could of been not too sure,
yes the fuel sender in the tank that goes to the gauge, it wasnt ready right before i i changed the sender card and it came good again after disconnecting the battery, but dte and avg fuel still stayed the same