Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY V6 Engine in a Vr Commodore??

mr_kreative

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Acclaim 3.8L
look i was wondering in putting a VY V6 Engine in my car, i got prices and itll cost me all up $2000.. has anyone ever did this before, will the car go good?? are the vy v6's better then the vr v6 engines? whats the difference? help please:)

SMURFTEC.

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VS S Commodore
hey mate, the VS-VY series of Holden's have the Ecotec 6 motor, which some may argue is alot better than the Buick motor, mainly interms of fuel efficiency, I read somewhere on the forums that the Ecotec V6's respond better to modifications (exhaust, extractors, memcal tune etc), differences are covered somewhere in the forum have a look around!

mr_kreative

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Acclaim 3.8L
anyone else know about this?

mr_kreative

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Acclaim 3.8L
yeah im saying will it be a good ride, like smooth , arent the ectotec better engines than the buicks.. plus i got lsd and 3:4:5 in my car? you reckon its worth while doing this

wortus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2 25th Anniversary in Phantom Mica
your going to need to change the wiring harness, not sure to what extent and also the ECU as the Ecotecs have sequential injection instead of burst fired injectors plus they have an air mass sensor not a MAP sensor and a number of other differences and sensors in different places etc. If you can get the VY motor you will probably need to get the wiring etc out of a VS?
Not sure what you need to do about your gearbox if it's an auto.

mr_kreative

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Acclaim 3.8L
Hey WORTUS, you are exactly correct, my mechanic is on the way to do all this, his putting the VS Wring and changing the wiring harness.. big job his charging me $2500 with pacemakers included, and VS tranny fitted? you think this is a good deal, itll be something different i think hopefully it goes good AND ITS ASMOOTH RIDE THAN MY VR V6 Engine?

mr_kreative

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Acclaim 3.8L
cause i have resprayed my car and i dont wana get rid of it?? its in very good nic

mr_kreative

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Acclaim 3.8L
Ok so what size is the stock exhaust?? and just to let you know, i got lsd 4 pin, 3:4:5 gears , CAI, Filter k & n, pacemaker extractors and Vy v6 engine in my Vr.. but still haven't exhaust.. So with all these mods you still recommend i get 2.25 or 2.5 with rear muffler and center??