Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vy V6 Gearbox Noise

tankey

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy Ute 3.8
Just wondering if anyboby else has had trouble with gearbox noise. Started one morning when down-shifting in traffic. Thought it was a truck next to me. Went straight to the dealer and took a mechanic for a ride. He heard the noise but it wasn't as bad as earlier. I was told they would have to take the box out, but drive it for a couple of days easy til they could book it in. It also started to rattle when idling occasionally. When I took it in, they called me and said they could not hear anything so they didn't pull it out. Since then, I sometimes crunch the gears from 1st to 2nd. This may only happen twice a week. It has also developed another noise and vibration at about 3400rpm. Any ideas guys?

Marks-VY

I love cars
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 Berlina
Don't expect any help from Holden. Unfortunately I bought a VY S-pack with 5 speed and from day one I have had a whine in first and second gear. Brought it back to where I bought it and they showed me another customer's car with the same mileage and build and it was the same.

I had the Technical Dept arrange a special meeting and after bringing it for a drive they acknowledged the noise but said it was within specification (although I don't recall any sound measuring equipment......... :confused: ).

They explained the gearbox is manufactured in Mexico and installed as a sealed unit and due to the design of the box etc, it naturally generates the whine. They said I could experiment with different oil grades but that would put my warranty in jeopardy :bang: .....

Anyway, they provided me with a letter to confirm the noise was apparent but within specification, so that if I tried to sell it I could prove it was not a faulty gearbox (my complaint was that I would not be able to sell it as people would think it had been through a hard life).

I should have bought the s/c auto......

Regards,
Mark.

tankey

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy Ute 3.8
Thanks mate, know how it is.

SMOKN_LJ

Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
LJ Torana, VL Calais
I've driven plenty of vt to vy commodores with the 5 speed getrag and they all have gearbox whine, its normal.

swish

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY2 S
My manual VY S V6 has been making a weird loud horrid grinding/growling type noise when I let the clutch out- but only when its cold....at night and first thing in morning. Can not get it to make the noise for service mechanic when I take it in ..... so "nothing wrong with it!" Is the only way I could prove fault/noise to have them take it home so it can be started at night or first thing on a cold morning? THEY ARENT HAVING MY CAR AT HOME!
Someone mentioned it's a bearing and common when cold! BUT I have never heard anyone else with same problem!

daggett

Crazy Tiger
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II Wagon
I have a VT II S' 5 Speed with the grinding/growling type noise and the whine. I have had the whole cluch assembley go on my 3 times and it's been replaced 4 times. The whine is apparently normal but I finally got them to manage to agree to the problem with the grinding/growling.

And guess what? After only 12,000k's in the new cluch asselmbley the grinding/growling is back. Oh yay.

S

SQUIDS_VX

V6 Gearbox and Clutch

My 2001 VX S (103000km) has a slight whine from the gearbox, and a clunk when shifting from second to first - but only when it's cold.

The Clutch feels spongy, Holden dealership says it's okay? but they also tried to sell me a new car? Can anyone tell me the 'real cost' to replace the clutch in this car and/or a good place to take it too, for a second opinion.

If it does need replacing, it'll be only the second thing i've had to replace - the other being 4 tyres 70000km ago. :)

daggett

Crazy Tiger
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II Wagon
The cluch replacement costs as below:

Part# GM92116034 - Bearing, CLU PIL x 2 = $4.70
Part# GM11041011 - Screw x 6 = $1.26
Part# GM92056275 - Flywheel ASM x 1 = $660.16
Part# GM92051396 - Plate Driven x 1 = $146.67
Part# GM92051395 - CVR+Press Plate x 1 = $149.20
Part# GM92062871 - Bolt Flywheel x 8 = $9.12
Part# GM92141311 - Bearubg Release x 1 = $98.31

+ Labour of around $262.00

I also still stuffer this clunk from first to second which is worse when cold also.

Pie-VK

That guy.
Reaction score
Members Ride
Series I VY SS Ute 5.7/M6
Sorry to revive an old thread

But I suffer from an insane whine from first and second gear in my storm ute.

It's louder than my exhaust.

Is this normal?

Dr HaxZaw

Reaction score
Members Ride
R34 GT-T
if its a whine i wouldnt worry about it... when it becomes a grinding noise you should be worried