Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY V6 into 1928 Ford - some ECU/BCM advice needed

28_Ford

Reaction score
Members Ride
1928 Ford
Hi everyone,
I have been trawling thru the forum to see if I could find a thread that would answer a question I have regarding a conversion I am doing. I have fitted a 2003 Ecotec into my 28 Ford Tudor, and would like to retain use of the BCM functions. If I strip out the airbag and ABS sections of the wiring loom, would I also need to get the corresponding VATs removed to prevent continual "check engine" warnings (I am using the VY gauge cluster as well), or should I get all the VATs removed anyway?
Any help appreciated, TIA,
Regards, Pete :)
More%20space%202_zpsrytlsgx2.jpg
[/IMG]
More%20space%202_zpsrytlsgx2.jpg

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
VATS is for anti-theft, disabling it lets you use the ECU without the BCM. It won't stop it throwing errors though.

Did you get all of these bits and pieces from the same donor car?

28_Ford

Reaction score
Members Ride
1928 Ford
Hi RJK,
Yes, I have all the bits and peices from the one single donor vehicle,
Cheers, Pete

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
That's a good start. If the ECU and BCM were from different donors you would need to get somebody with a Tech 2 to link them.

You may be able to use a Tech 2 to disable all of the functions that you don't need, so make sure when you start patching loom to not remove the OBD port.

I take it you're using the Commodore auto?

Waughy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Mini Clubman
Talk to Tazzl from Envyous Customs about the airbags. His software can program the SRS configuration in the cluster, so it can be set for no airbags, and should stop the SRS warning. If it's not that simple he might have some ideas on what to do.

28_Ford

Reaction score
Members Ride
1928 Ford
Hi everyone,
Been a while since I've added anything to this build thread. Getting closer to initial start-up now, and have a few minor gremlins to sort out.
I've plugged everything back in, the dash cluster LCD shows a "fuel gauge error" "contact retailer".
Also the dash cluster doesnt turn off after you have removed the key
If anyone can shed some light on this I'm all ears
Cheers Pete ☺

Attachments

• 20190214_112420.jpg
    20190214_112420.jpg
    315.2 KB · Views: 334

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
What a cool sounding project , the Ecotec is a good engine

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
So how much of the VY are you using?

At a guess the dash is looking for the fuel float sensor which doesn't exist anymore. Without knowing how you've wired it up it would sound like you've got it tapped into a constant power source instead of a switched one.

28_Ford

Reaction score
Members Ride
1928 Ford
So how much of the VY are you using?

At a guess the dash is looking for the fuel float sensor which doesn't exist anymore. Without knowing how you've wired it up it would sound like you've got it tapped into a constant power source instead of a switched one.
Hi RJK,
Using all of the loom. Yes, found the fault......went back over the circuit modifications I'd made to the fuel gauge loom. Yep, I had incorrectly used the wrong O-BK wire.....so had the 12v feed from the dash cluster and another 12v from the fuse box feeding into the gauge circuit. Problem now sorted!.
I'm using the VY Commodore fuel pump assembly and have retro fitted it into a custom tank that holds about 60L. Plan is to do some serious miles in this once it's finished, hence the Ecotec conversion .
Also rectified the constant power fault as well, so everything is working as it should.
I've retained the OBD plug as well so that I can change things like speedo pulses etc to match the tyre n diff ration combo.
Cheers, Pete