Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY V6 Radiator Flush

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
I stopped buying them after consulting the VS one for some transmission assembly detail. All is said about the trans is pull the pan off replace the filter and put the pan back on...!
I sent them an email asking what gives have you missed 20 pages in my book??? And they replied saying " it's a service manual not a workshop / rebuild Manual!
I replied saying goodbye to as I'm no longer a customer :)

johnmw1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Lumina
I stopped buying them after consulting the VS one for some transmission assembly detail. All is said about the trans is pull the pan off replace the filter and put the pan back on...!
I sent them an email asking what gives have you missed 20 pages in my book??? And they replied saying " it's a service manual not a workshop / rebuild Manual!
I replied saying goodbye to as I'm no longer a customer :)

Yes I am that fool and his money who is so easily parted!:(

Having trouble trying to remove the cooler reservoir on the VY. It seems to be placed under the air filter box and I can't see anyway of getting to it to remove.

In my ute beaut instructions from Hayes it sayes it's held there with just 2 screws. That maybe so on another model but not with the VY?

Cheers,
John

johnmw1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Lumina
Well I did the flush but to be honest I'm not sure if Ive done it right or not? I only got about 4 litres out when I drained it. Didn't seem to look too bad with what I got out of it, just not enough, and then when refilling it only managed to get about the same 4 litres of concentrate back in. Hopefully with what must have been left in the system and what I put back in the ratio is somewhere around where it should be.

I took it for a bit of a high speed run and could not get the temperature needle past halfway, so here's hoping.

Cheers,
John

greenacc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Sounds like it should be fine if you put the same amount in as what came out. Check it again in a day or two just to be sure.

johnmw1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Lumina

greenacc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Do how did you drain the system? I would have just dropped the bottom hose off the radiator, flushed fresh water through it with the hose and filled her up with fresh coolant/ water as required.
If really keen fill with water and run with heater on for a few minutes to flush out the remaining old coolant then drain again and fill.
Unless your old coolant was rusty I wouldn't worry and just leave it.

johnmw1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Lumina
Do how did you drain the system? I would have just dropped the bottom hose off the radiator, flushed fresh water through it with the hose and filled her up with fresh coolant/ water as required.
If really keen fill with water and run with heater on for a few minutes to flush out the remaining old coolant then drain again and fill.
Unless your old coolant was rusty I wouldn't worry and just leave it.

Yeah,
That is pretty well what I did, but so little came out compared to the supossed 12 litres that should have been in there. Considering when I looked in both the radiator and the reservoir the other day and could see nothing in either perhaps that's all that was in there. But it doesnt account for the small amount I could only get back in?

Cheers,
John

greenacc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
The rest is still hiding in the engine block and heater, that's normal.

Ozzie

JCCC Warrnambool
Reaction score
Members Ride
Ozzie'z Supercharged VY Calais
I've been using Nulon red concentrate. No difference in price to the green really.
Red does also have the benefit of easily being able to spot leaks though which is a plus.

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
It's different formulas meant for different motors. It's not just a matter of different colour.....