Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY V6 stalling intermittently? Try this before you start spending $$$

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
Just posting this up, as I had an issue last night and tried searching here for a solution but didn't get much luck with my problem. So thought my experience may prove handy to others...

On the way home last night, I started the VY and before I put it into Reverse, it stalled. Before this I'd had no running or starting issues what so ever. Started her up again, continued on the way home, before it stalled as I was driving down the road a few minutes later. Pulled over, wouldn't start this time.

On checking the car I had no spark and no fuel. First thought was the crank angle sensor, but the car stalled at idle when I first got in, barely time for it to heat up to start causing issues out of nowhere. So next I thought perhaps the DFI module, which proved to be the right area.

However rather than the DFI itself, it was the plug that plugs into the DFI. I used my test light to tighten the prongs on the plug, put it back in, and away it went. Today, it got a bit jittery again on the way home after an hour or so's driving, so im assuming its actually a broken or damaged wire on the rear of the plug, so I'll have to wire up a new plug on Monday.

Since last night, I asked around and it seems a few people have had the same issue, but only after replacing other items or wasting money at a mechanics or auto electricians with no result. So I thought it might be helpful for those with stalling issues when searching, as its one of those problems that you could spend hundreds on replacing items (CAS, DFI, fuel pump, fuel filter etc. etc.) before you actually discover the problem. And its not just a potential VY issue, but all the way back to VN's which all used the same sort of plug.

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
This has been covered about 100 times before... if your dfi wiring is damaged, the plastic housing (that acts like a brace) must be too, and that would be pretty obvious.
9 times out of 10 its a poor contact in your engine cont relay that makes the DFI stop working . Thats a simple check by swapping it with your horn relay.
Pull your engine cont relay apart and have a look at the contacts, you will be suprised

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
I already tried swapping the relay, and I left it swapped, and that didn't have any impact on the issue.

And perhaps it has been covered 100 times before, I am just trying to make it easier to search for or find, so I threw in all the relevant search tags when I made the thread.

SavVYute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S V6 Ute Series II 2004
VY V6 stalling intermittently? Try this before you start spending $$$

That's really good advice 1991_Vn2nV. And great to see you sharing it.
It happened to me a while ago. 2x CAS replacements later that was exactly what the problem was found to be!

Thanks for sharing it. :beer chug: