Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY V6 Supercharger oil (not engine).

ben315vz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'05 Holden VZ Calais V8
Hey guys,

Just wondering what oil is used in the supercharger?, and how do you know if there is enough oil in it or not? A guy at work said he thinks its the same as engine oil but wasn't too sure.

Also should/can it be changed?

Thanks.

cander24

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ GTO. VS LS1.
No, dont use engine oil in the blower gear casing. It requires a specific grade of synthetic gear oil (don't have the info with me at the moment sorry) and it takes 150ml. On the passenger side of the blower snout there is a 5mm socket head (allen key) filler screw. To remove the oil you can either suck it out through this hole with a tube and syringe, or, remove and reseal just the snout. Personally i'd go with the first method of the two to avoid unnecessary work. Typically, the gear case oil requires little attention as it only ever loses the smallest amount through the front shaft seal. I know Steve at Mace sells the genuine GM charger oil to suit.
Cheers.

VK SL 3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 5spd
Go onto the mace website there is some for sale there, your local holden dealer will sell it also. Recommended interval is pretty high from memory, i would be changing it every 40, 000 at maximum, especially when you have fitted a smaller pulley. No drain plug its a pain you have to suck the old oil out, use a WD40 sprayer or one from a spray and wipe bottle works ok but there has to be a proper method.

ben315vz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'05 Holden VZ Calais V8
Ok thanks for that. I didn't think engine oil would be the right oil to put in it. Ill suck the oil out the same way I suck the brake fluid out.

I just wanted to know because when I put the engine into my car, I want to put fresh oil in the engine and supercharger, as well as new coolant.

Ill call up the Holden dealer that we use at work and get a price on the oil and go from there.

Thanks guys.

VT-565

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
I use the genuine GM blower oil.
It is vastly different to engine oil and I recommend you use it.
I've also heard of people putting 85W 140 in there, but for the money to get the RIGHT oil, its not worth experimenting with.
the GM bottles are 4 fluid ounces, you will need 1 and a half bottles.
Also, a large syringe with a bit of aquarium tube on the end works well for pulling the old oil out.

ben315vz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'05 Holden VZ Calais V8
Yeah i'm definately going to get the genuine oil for the supercharger. I don't want to put engine oil in it and then it stuffs up the supercharger. I would rather get the right oil, then I wont have to worry about the cost of repairing/replacing the supercharger because I didn't put the right oil in it.

One other question, this is probably the wrong place to post but its worth a go. When I put the L67 motor into my VS, will I have to change the transmission as well or will mine be alright with it? I have a shallow pan, and the one that comes with the engine has a deep pan, also the bellhousings are slightly different (mine has the plastic cover and the newer one has an all alloy bellhousing).

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
mobil1 can be used
seriously.......

you can use a 75-85 synthetic gear oil according to CAPA when i asked them what to use.... i personally use mobil 424, its about 50 weight gear oil and never had a problem....
have heard of people putting castrol saf-xa in there but it made a high pitched squeel sound at about 4,000 (engine) RPM (with a 10psi pulley installed) pretty sure the bearings wont be looking very happy with oil that thick, spinning that fast.

and you can use your trans, but the stall converter on the L67 box is about 2600 rpm lockup and the shift points are slightly different to the N/A version

ben315vz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'05 Holden VZ Calais V8
seriously.......

you can use a 75-85 synthetic gear oil according to CAPA when i asked them what to use.... i personally use mobil 424, its about 50 weight gear oil and never had a problem....
have heard of people putting castrol saf-xa in there but it made a high pitched squeel sound at about 4,000 (engine) RPM (with a 10psi pulley installed) pretty sure the bearings wont be looking very happy with oil that thick, spinning that fast.

and you can use your trans, but the stall converter on the L67 box is about 2600 rpm lockup and the shift points are slightly different to the N/A version

I was servicing a WH Statesman at work and it had a Supercharged V6 my boss told me to top it up with 10W30 mineral oil, he said he wasn't sure if was going to be alright. Anyway a couple of weeks late it came back because the supercharger was getting noisy. My boss said to the guy that we don't really work on supercharged engines so he told him to take it back to the dealer. One thing I hate about where I work, if they don't know the answer to something and I do, they still don't listen. I told him i thought it might be a special oil.

Thanks for letting me know about the transmission, I think to be safe, I might use the transmission that is being sold with the engine, I will just buy a filter kit for it and change the oil.

monkeys437

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Stato l67
I used castrol high temp gear oil (cant remember the weight) and from memory the filler plug was a torx screw not an allen key