Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY V6 to V8 Swap

MEESEN

"SOON"
Reaction score
Members Ride
'03 VY
Hi guys,

Ive got a Gen III V8 from my dad and i'm wanting to put it in my VY that currently has a V6..

Just wondering what i need to do the swap?

1. Do i need the computer from my dads VY or does my computer just plug strait in?... if so Will my computer need to be set up yo work with the new engine?

2. Do i need the k frame from my dads VY or will mine be suitable?

3. My car has been lowered so does that mean my suspension doesn't need changing?

4. Do my brakes need to be changed?

5. If both my dads VY and my VY have the same 4 speed auto trans can i just drop the v8 into my vy?

6. What else needs changing?

Please no people saying its a waste of time and money... your just wasting your own time and mine.

Thanks Guys

MR_VX

Forced to be Fast
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S pac SII Raptorcharged
is your dads car damaged or some thing????

theres way way more to it then just swaping the motor. Sorry to say but it is easier to just by a vy ss

MEESEN

"SOON"
Reaction score
Members Ride
'03 VY
Got T Boned pretty bad.

What else would need to be changed?

like i know the fuel tank and that has to but what else??

This is somethin i really want to do so whatever it takes ill do.

Aussiecv8

Reaction score
Members Ride
CV8 Monaro & VE SV6
1. Yes the computer will need to be changed. You will also have to change the wiring and the dash gauges.
2. I think they are different, the V8 one being heavier. You will also need to change the diff, suspension and re route air conditioning lines, etc and tail/ drive shaft
3. The v8 springs are different as they support a heavier weight load. You will get away with using the old ones but its not recommended.
4. No, I think the brakes are the same, but check the booster size.
5. I think it will need to be changed if you are using the same computer from the written off car.
6. Its a big job to undertake, it can be done, but nearly all the running gear, computer will need to be changed over, not to mention the wiring looms.

neephius

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 5.7 M A4
I have a VY SV8 That I wanted to swap For a VY or VZ SV8 in Extremely good condition. Mine is mint except for the tires got dirt on the bottom.