Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY v6 unfixable front end clunk

evil_monkey

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden
edit************

problem fixed, all the headache was due to missdiagnosis by the mechanics i took it to...

turned out to be the drivers side lowwer control arm

Last edited:

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
find someone with a VY and swap a strut over and see if the problem stops.......

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
With the vehicle on the ground, undo the top strut nut and remove the rubber bush. Swing off the bottom nut and make sure it is TIGHT. Put the bush back on and do up the top nut. Make sure it is TIGHT also.

B£å¢kÐðg

D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Commodore
Have you looked at the engine mounts? If your 100% sure it's the strut tower ignore this but I had a similar problem in a previous commodore I owned.

It was making a clunking noise in the front end that was driving me mad, I was told it was suspension related (the sound also sounded like it was coming from one of the struts) so I had the strut tops, shocks, all the bushes in the front end you name it was replaced but still didn't fix it, was only by pure chance I had the engine mounts replaced and no more clunk :)

As I said if your 100% sure it's the strut tower ignore this but I had a similar problem that turned out to be an engine mount.

HoldrodeoLT

I have no lemon pledge...
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 Holden Rodeo RA LT, 2008 Polaris Hawkeye 300
Ah ok, no worries

PRH

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp s utility,and a KENWORTH
When exactly does it clunk? my ute had similar noise when the weight come off the front wheels ie goin over a railway crossing, turned out to be crook strut inserts,apparently there is a valve inside it and the weld that secures it breaks away allowing the whole assembly to flog up and down,there is no outside damage visable,just a thought
Phillip :wax: