Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY VERY WEIRD wiring issue please help ASAP

esca_ByDesign

Clean and Classy
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY exec By Design
ok well if you dont want to read my massive stroy im about to explain, the jist of it is that when i turn my car on with the headlights off, my dash and headunit (stock) lights come on. when i turn my headlights on, those lights go off and gear shifter, heater controls etc stay off.

well here is what happened,

a couple of weeks ago i stalled a new amp and was playing around with it, showing off to my bro my new LED foglights blah blah blah, well i went to drive off and i turned my lights on, and nothing happened, then i put my foot on the break and all the interior lights came on, then foot off break, they all went off!. checked around wiring in boot and all was sweet, thought it might be the vz tail light looms i recently installed so checked them, started car again then same thing happend, i was late for work so i left to go to work, 2 streeets away from home they flicked for a bit and then worked normal. ever since then its been fine

today i got into my car and was trying to wire up a spare LED strip i had to a spliced 12V from ciggy lighter light, was turning headlights on and off to test polarity etc of led strip. all was good at this stage.
then wired in a switch to turn it off if i want, then tried to test it after i soldered it, and nothing, interior lights didnt work, turned headlight switch off, and cluster and headunit lights came on, but shifter and heat controls stay off, then headlights back on again, and all the lights are off.

ok so i checked fuses, cut off the switch i put in and disconected everything from that splice, still not coming on when headlight switch on but cluster and headunit coming on when headlight switch is off.

go for a drive and pump break, floor it, flick headlights on/off etc, still no change.

disconnect battery for about 10 minutes, still no change

i can still hear the relay flicking when i turn the headlight switch on, but nothing happens, only cluster and headunit turn off.

when i disconnect the headlight switch, everything is off which is what it should be, but as soon as i connect it again, in the off position, cluster and headunit only come on.

so my question is....WTF IS GOING ON!!! its so annoying because ive never heard of anything like this happening.

i should also mention i have the equivalent of the "phreddy" dash mod done by my mate dan humble who many people on this site have had done and no problems. he has been playing with vy/vz's for about 4 years and i called him and he didnt know, said he has never heard of anything like this before.

if you need more info or want me to try ANYTHING i am willing, i want this **** fixed because obviously its dangerous to drive at night.

thanks in advance

jason

DevilDRake

Braaaap
Reaction score
Website
www.devildrake.deviantart.com
Members Ride
2006 VZ SS 6L Ute
Didn't wire them up backwards did you XD?

esca_ByDesign

Clean and Classy
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY exec By Design
wire what up backwards? the led strip? even if i did or the amp was backwards a fuse would have blown yeah? or all of it would work not half of it?

:( im really stressed about this...

db_notso

diagnostic technician...
Reaction score
Members Ride
vt v6, mods(susp brakesetc...)
sounds like a bad earth
is the fault permanently there now?
can you make it stuff up now?
if so get it so its playing up (headlight switch on but inoperative lights)
unplug fuses on your aftermarket stuff like amp fuse radio off unplug lights
one by one until the fault goes away
if it goes away at one point this is the electrical circuit at fault
if it doesnt go away check your battery earth and power terminals are secure and fully contacting battery posts
if still inop
use multimeter too see if you have 12volts across battery (engine stopped)
14 (orso) volts across battery (when engine running)
then repost if you get to this stage.

normally if you fit an amp yourself no1 mistake is either bad earth position (e.g onto painted surface etc) or poor attachment of power supply cable to battery!~!

let us know how you go...

GenReaper

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.AusHeli.com
Members Ride
VY SS Series II Wagon
I would try to borrow a body control module and see if that fixes the problem, sounds dicky to me.
Oh and if you do this i believe you will need to code the key to it with Tech2.

esca_ByDesign

Clean and Classy
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY exec By Design
it might be bad earth but how come it worked for so long fine?
i have anouther amp professionally installed and it has ground the same way, drilled with tech screw into chassis in boot, im noyt sure if the washers i used werecoated with anything just haf spare ones, mabe that'? ill go out and try that soon :)

wish me luck

esca_ByDesign

Clean and Classy
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY exec By Design
ok no luck, tried to disconnect fuses, didnt work, even took power for both amps off battery and still lights were on so we can eliminate sound system, it must have been a coincidence.

the only other 2 things it could be is a faulty headlight switch, somewhere when dan swapped over LED's, they shorted some how, (a bit unlikely but possible)

or the other one (my worst nightmare) ive connected something somewhere the wrong way and a wire has melted onto anouther somewhere and its shorting out something and causeing only half of lights to come on in reverse to what they are supposed to and the other half off all together, you can see why i would hate it if its this as it will take me or a auto elec many many hours to find.

anyone have any other ideas? i can try my mates headlight switch to see if its that, or if ive ####ed the BCM somehow, does anyone know how much they are to replace *starts crying*

i hope it is something simpler than that.

cheers for advice, keep it coming

esca_ByDesign

Clean and Classy
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY exec By Design
ok left it over night and still nothing, im begining to think its the BCM as it might have got confused somehow,

would only holden know how to check if BCM module is stuffed or can an auto elec do it too? no one else have any other ideas? im desperate :(

db_notso

diagnostic technician...
Reaction score
Members Ride
vt v6, mods(susp brakesetc...)
ok not sound sytem
did you disconnect your extra lights too?
did you check the batterie terminals?

if above ok
i need year of build (on vin plate)
and basic info

so i can look at the correct wiring diagrams to help you out next !~ (i have an account with wiringdiagrams .com ;) )