Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY VERY WEIRD wiring issue please help ASAP

esca_ByDesign

Clean and Classy
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY exec By Design
ok well if you dont want to read my massive stroy im about to explain, the jist of it is that when i turn my car on with the headlights off, my dash and headunit (stock) lights come on. when i turn my headlights on, those lights go off and gear shifter, heater controls etc stay off.

well here is what happened,

a couple of weeks ago i stalled a new amp and was playing around with it, showing off to my bro my new LED foglights blah blah blah, well i went to drive off and i turned my lights on, and nothing happened, then i put my foot on the break and all the interior lights came on, then foot off break, they all went off!. checked around wiring in boot and all was sweet, thought it might be the vz tail light looms i recently installed so checked them, started car again then same thing happend, i was late for work so i left to go to work, 2 streeets away from home they flicked for a bit and then worked normal. ever since then its been fine

today i got into my car and was trying to wire up a spare LED strip i had to a spliced 12V from ciggy lighter light, was turning headlights on and off to test polarity etc of led strip. all was good at this stage.
then wired in a switch to turn it off if i want, then tried to test it after i soldered it, and nothing, interior lights didnt work, turned headlight switch off, and cluster and headunit lights came on, but shifter and heat controls stay off, then headlights back on again, and all the lights are off.

ok so i checked fuses, cut off the switch i put in and disconected everything from that splice, still not coming on when headlight switch on but cluster and headunit coming on when headlight switch is off.

go for a drive and pump break, floor it, flick headlights on/off etc, still no change.

disconnect battery for about 10 minutes, still no change

i can still hear the relay flicking when i turn the headlight switch on, but nothing happens, only cluster and headunit turn off.

when i disconnect the headlight switch, everything is off which is what it should be, but as soon as i connect it again, in the off position, cluster and headunit only come on.

so my question is....WTF IS GOING ON!!! its so annoying because ive never heard of anything like this happening.

i should also mention i have the equivalent of the "phreddy" dash mod done by my mate dan humble who many people on this site have had done and no problems. he has been playing with vy/vz's for about 4 years and i called him and he didnt know, said he has never heard of anything like this before.

if you need more info or want me to try ANYTHING i am willing, i want this **** fixed because obviously its dangerous to drive at night.

thanks in advance

jason

Trayner

Fresh prince of Pakky, Gangsta
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gangsta Hundy
sounds like its shorting out somewhere . or maybe you have a loose grounding cable

esca_ByDesign

Clean and Classy
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY exec By Design
Yeah probably but disconnected sound system and still does it so isn't from a bad ground there.

How easy is it to fry a bcm? And can one thing stuff up but everything else is fine? Either that or faulty headlight switch?
:(

colgf

Reaction score
Members Ride
s/charged v6 HR Holden, s/charged v6 EH Holden,
I think you are not suited for electronics. Stick to your day job!!!!!

esca_ByDesign

Clean and Classy
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY exec By Design
I think you are not suited for electronics. Stick to your day job!!!!!

And you are??? If your not gonna help I'd prefer if you keep your opinions to yourself (Y)

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
had to a spliced 12V from ciggy lighter light theres your problem to much load on that circuit isnt good for anything

esca_ByDesign

Clean and Classy
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY exec By Design
had to a spliced 12V from ciggy lighter light theres your problem to much load on that circuit isnt good for anything

its the smallest LED strip you would ever see, would be lucky to pull .01A.

MagiTEK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII S
Yeah probably but disconnected sound system and still does it so isn't from a bad ground there.

How easy is it to fry a bcm? And can one thing stuff up but everything else is fine? Either that or faulty headlight switch?
:(

I would have to say some cable you've tapped into or pulled on to get that extra bit of length is shorted out somewhere. Possibly cabling related to the headlight switch. Hope you have a multimeter handy to help track it down.

Also be weary its not draining your battery even when the car is off. Im a few beers down and not an electrician but you should be able to check this by disconnecting the negative terminal and using a multimeter on the chassis(or negative cabling) and negative battery terminal to see if there is a current indicating that something is creating a closed circuit.