Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY visual mod recommendations (non-w*nky style)

sp001in

vyma100
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY ute
yeah, i still have my L's (bout to get my P's) and I agree, P platers are unprepared and aren't aware of the things that can go wrong, but thats why they brought in the 120 hour rule. thats alot of driving, if you have a good instructor (be it parents or qualified) you should have learnt alot more than the P platers from a few years ago!

thanks for the post

Mate you sound years beyond you age (mentally) I am 100% for the new 120hr rule. my little brother is currently going through it and while I can see how hard it is the experience he gains will stay with him for life.

I'm out of work at the moment (first time in 8years; bloody recession) and should it last for more than another 3weeks I will acquire my drivers training license and start up my own driving school only it will include 10hrs mandatory advanced driver training at Mt. Cotton. simply put. you will spend 10hrs off the road learning how to control the car before you even get it on the damn road.

I'm thinking 2hrs minimum auto training which is basic start stop steering principals.
2hrs manual training. clutch control, shifting, short shifting, skip shifting and engine braking
6hrs actual driving. learning what it takes to make a car spin/ slide and how to regain control, emergency braking. blown tyre driving control. how to change a damn tyre. and basic car maintenance training to identify problems with the vehicle and get people out of trouble.

and most importantly it won't be just for L platers.

will also look at some advanced driver training stuff too eg. stunt driving stuff. J turns,180 turns 360 handbrakes with recovery. 90 degree parking.

Roachie305

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS II commodore EXEC
That is fantastic, thats really valuable techniques that Learner drivers dont get these days, with recovery techniques.

true story- 3 days ago, one of the guys from my school, just attained his license and 20 mins after he wrapped his car round a power pole outside of the school, not trying to do anything fancy to impress his mates but just because he was underprepared and wouldnt have the first idea on how to correct a skid. His car was towed straight to the wreckers:bang:.....

dont get me wrong, i wouldnt have any clue in practice but i do believe (correct me if i am wrong) but the first thing to do in a skid is to turn into the skid and not counter-steer it, at the same time as pressing the clutch?

also, with emergency braking, perfect, i know i am doing it wrong in my driving as i follow first instinct to press hard, but i'm also thinking thats dangerous,
your business sounds great and very profitable.
Where abouts will/is it based?

sp001in

vyma100
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY ute
That is fantastic, thats really valuable techniques that Learner drivers dont get these days, with recovery techniques.

true story- 3 days ago, one of the guys from my school, just attained his license and 20 mins after he wrapped his car round a power pole outside of the school, not trying to do anything fancy to impress his mates but just because he was underprepared and wouldnt have the first idea on how to correct a skid. His car was towed straight to the wreckers:bang:.....

dont get me wrong, i wouldnt have any clue in practice but i do believe (correct me if i am wrong) but the first thing to do in a skid is to turn into the skid and not counter-steer it, at the same time as pressing the clutch?

also, with emergency braking, perfect, i know i am doing it wrong in my driving as i follow first instinct to press hard, but i'm also thinking thats dangerous,
your business sounds great and very profitable.
Where abouts will/is it based?

don't worry about your clutch the engine braking will help stop the skid. but you are correct you drop the throttle and steer into it. however even this can cause problems. advanced driver training tells you to apply more throttle and steer into it. and depending on the situation that can work too. and then again, counter steering it without throttle and adding brake will see you turned around. all good fun stuff that you will only pickup with actual practice.

emergency braking, yes press hard if you have ABS. no matter how hard you press the car will not lock the tyres and skid. without ABS you need to feather the brake without coasting it or you will not stop in time. ABS does things 1000 times faster than a human being can but it does also increase your stopping distance.