Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VY] VY/VZ Dash LED Conversion!

JT5

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy spac ute
anyone have the instructions.

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
Hi Team

Old thread I know - just trying to keep all of the info in one place. I have to replace a few LEDs on my VY instrument cluster and also change the HVAC control module to blue to match the rest of the interior lighting.

The blue conversion, including the mode and window switches, was already done before I purchased the ute, The HVAC controls are green so I'm guessing that the HVAC control module was replaced sometime after the blue conversion was done.

I have no issues unsoldering and resoldering the SMDs or the process involved in removing the LCD etc. What I don't know is what voltage the SMD LEDs are. They could be 12V; however, they could just as easily be 3V or less. Most I have found online appear to be around 2V. I can pull the dash apart and check with a multimeter but that would be a royal PITA.

Can anyone point me in the right direction so I can order them? If you have a link to a supplier that would be gold.

Cheers n Beers
Jolls

Last edited:

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
If I knew, I’d be straight in to help you.

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Hi Team

Old thread I know - just trying to keep all of the info in one place. I have to replace a few LEDs on my VY instrument cluster and also change the HVAC control module to blue to match the rest of the interior lighting.

The blue conversion, including the mode and window switches, was already done before I purchased the ute, The HVAC controls are green so I'm guessing that the HVAC control module was replaced sometime after the blue conversion was done.

I have no issues unsoldering and resoldering the SMDs or the process involved in removing the LCD etc. What I don't know is what voltage the SMD LEDs are. They could be 12V; however, they could just as easily be 3V or less. Most I have found online appear to be around 2V. I can pull the dash apart and check with a multimeter but that would be a royal PITA.

Can anyone point me in the right direction so I can order them? If you have a link to a supplier that would be gold.

Cheers n Beers
Jolls
Asr, does or used to do them? Dont know if they supply? https://www.instagram.com/asraudio/?hl=en
rs componets. https://au.rs-online.com/web/c/displays-optoelectronics/leds-light-emitting-diodes/leds/
alibaba.com https://www.alibaba.com/premium/smd...MIncuX58in-gIVkZVLBR07RAJvEAMYAyAAEgJd2vD_BwE
Or you can google smds?

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
If I knew, I’d be straight in to help you.
Thanks Fu,
I think I found the solution by powering a couple up across the legs with two AAA batteries.
Thanks Lex,
Googled hundreds of LEDs - and found plenty of suppliers - just wanted to know what it was I needed to order. I have tied to get onto ASR with no luck.
I have the non working VZ dash in pieces so I bridged the SMD legs with some alligator clips and a couple of AAA batteries and they power up. They are quite bright at 3V. I took measurements with a micrometer and they are a standard 3528 (3.5mm x 2.8mm) SMD LED where voltage is related to colour:
1663855044302.png

On one of the threads they are referred to as 1210 SMDs (which is the same LED using imperial measurements) and also as a 12V Jaycar Blue LED. It can't be both - which is where my question came from.

Anyways - that part of the problem has been solved.

Cheers n Beers
Jolls