Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[General] [VY/VZ] Everything to know about Changing Clusters!

effy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy s pack S2
This is a fantastic write up man but I was wondering if anybody knows what size LEDs are in my 03 vy s2 s pak commodores instrument cluster any info would be great thanks

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
This is a fantastic write up man but I was wondering if anybody knows what size LEDs are in my 03 vy s2 s pak commodores instrument cluster any info would be great thanks
Cheers Effy,
Unless you have alot of soldering experience, then I wouldnt recommend tackling the cluster leds due to soldering smd devices isnt easy and also desoldering the lcd is very tedious and can be easily over heated/fried.

But the leds you are after are called "smd 1210" or "smd 3528". These are the same leds.. just different name.

Will also need "side smd leds" for the lcd screen unless you start getting adventurous and solder in led strips for a nicer, brighter light.

Taz.

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
After a while searching I eventually brought one on ebay after confirmed the part number was the same 92115852 , Dial color etc, I took it to him and had him increase the odometer to match the old one (they record the Odometer reading each year at the roadworthy in NSW) installed it and now my fuel gauge is backwards. After reading your great write up, I now know my late October 2003 S2 has a S1 sender . I would have though by late Oct 03 Holden would have used the S1 stock? But since the L67 uses a different fuel pump maybe that why?

I am hoping to buy you software so I can correct the gauge, as you are right the backwards gauge with the low fuel alarm going of each time you fill up is annoying even after only having it for a week, not to mention the fact I have no confidence when it is getting empty. When I remember to reset it I currently use the fuel used display to know when I need to fill up as I don’t think resistance values are linier, the gauge shows nearly empty (over ¾ full) from about half a tank.

If you software is not finished but can correct the fuel gage that is ok with me, I already have a Cable as I was going to flash tune it, until I found that the L67 does not have the flash tune PCM.

Gday Normv, sorry I missed your message!

To be honest, I think back in 2003, they were just using whatever fuel sender that they had at the time.. and the transition wasnt as smooth as Holden thought it would be. Think it was a matter of just installing a cluster that matched the fuel sender.

Incorrect fuel series is a real pain, the gauge works backwards.. and the values shown are pretty iffy since its reading the fuel volumes completely wrong. As for fixing this, yes the cluster fuel settings need to be updated... BUT, the instrument cluster does not always accept these new values and doesnt work correctly, eg. the cluster needle will bounce around random values as the tank goes down, or will get stuck on a single value.

Iv found this happens on about 8/10 clusters when correcting the fuel series (S1<->S2). Had a HSV cluster happily accept the new change, whereas a stock lvl1 cluster rejected it and wouldnt work. Seems to be the luck of the draw to if the cluster accepts it or not.

As for why the clusters reject the updates?
Something to do with the software version on the cluster which Im yet to resolve. The cluster "expects" a certain value.. and when it checks with its settings and finds something else.. it freaks out and trys to display two values at one time... obvious not going to happen. For clusters like these, the only way to fix it is to swap the fuel sender out of the correct one.

But yes my software can change the series although there is the potential issue above. It can be reverted back to the original series which makes the cluster work perfectly if all else fails!. The software is still not available, as this is really only a hobby, I dont get a whole heap of time to get things moving quickly!

Do you know if you have an ALDL cable? An OBD2 cable will not work.

Feel free to pm for more info.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina

ama.pythons

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt
Thanks mate just thought would ask its been a year since origi al post few blokes on goldy say there doing it now

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
Is this software.and lead available yet?
Nah not yet. Its in the hands of about 10 people at the moment as they were the beta testers.

I highly recommend purchasing from VL400 over at PCMHacking.net.

Realway

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ ute
SRS light

*Updated due to requests.
Including how to reset reminder and related information.
And an image of my program that I use.
Will update with how to change locking sequence(two stage lock) + other features soon.

I have just replaced my cluster on my vz Commodore ute and now the srs light and warning come on. The replacement is the right series and if I touch the "mode" button the warning goes away but the light on the dash stays on. How can this be fixed, can an auto electrician do the job or will I have to go to a Holden Dealer? Fantastic post by the way.

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
I have just replaced my cluster on my vz Commodore ute and now the srs light and warning come on. The replacement is the right series and if I touch the "mode" button the warning goes away but the light on the dash stays on. How can this be fixed, can an auto electrician do the job or will I have to go to a Holden Dealer? Fantastic post by the way.

If the SRS is programming related it will need a Tech 2 scan tool to set the SRS number to the correct figure (4 or 6 most likley)

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
As GreenVN said, the cluster SRS airbag configuration needs to be configured. An auto-electrician that knows what hes doing will do it easily and be able to then clear the fault.