Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[General] [VY/VZ] Everything to know about Changing Clusters!

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
I tried both WK clusters I have in the S2 VY and both failed to work. The part numbers are only a few numbers apart. Fuel gauge works backwards and only part of the side LCD's screens work. The S2 HSV cluster works fine.

Was the same cluster part number used for all WK cars? (VY looks to have 3 series of clusters)

Can you take a picture of what the clusters are doing in car? (the side LCDs)
I havent had much trouble in the past at all when dealing with these clusters. Only time I have had issues is when someone tried to write a calais clusters eeprom (one I posted up infact!) into the cluster and it didnt function properly. With a bit of tinkering, the cluster does work with a hsv/calais eeprom config.

To be honest, I haven't payed attention to what the part numbers were on the WK clusters. None of them had the same software version so they would have all had slightly different programming. Iv only put those clusters in S1 VY's, and have had no trouble with fuel configuration.. So Im guessing the ones you have must be configured for S1 cars hence the backwards fuel gauge.

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
Can you take a picture of what the clusters are doing in car? (the side LCDs)
I havent had much trouble in the past at all when dealing with these clusters. Only time I have had issues is when someone tried to write a calais clusters eeprom (one I posted up infact!) into the cluster and it didnt function properly. With a bit of tinkering, the cluster does work with a hsv/calais eeprom config.

To be honest, I haven't payed attention to what the part numbers were on the WK clusters. None of them had the same software version so they would have all had slightly different programming. Iv only put those clusters in S1 VY's, and have had no trouble with fuel configuration.. So Im guessing the ones you have must be configured for S1 cars hence the backwards fuel gauge.

Just purchased a S1 VY s/c so I can test the clusters in that next week whe the car arrives.

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Ok the VY S1 S pac had a CAA 92164426 cluster in ti. Put the WK in and the gauge looked to work correctly. The small screens are still missing segments so It maybe a solder issue for the LCD screens . I'll have a look over the next few days to see if I can find a dry joint or 2.

Edit: nope WK failed in series 1 - I read the gauge wrong first time around. 3/4 tank on the original cluster was 1/4 tank on the WK cluster.

A "HH" series 1 VY cluster worked the same as the CAA cluster.

Last edited:

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
Ok the VY S1 S pac had a CAA 92164426 cluster in ti. Put the WK in and the gauge looked to work correctly. The small screens are still missing segments so It maybe a solder issue for the LCD screens . I'll have a look over the next few days to see if I can find a dry joint or 2.

Edit: nope WK failed in series 1 - I read the gauge wrong first time around. 3/4 tank on the original cluster was 1/4 tank on the WK cluster.

A "HH" series 1 VY cluster worked the same as the CAA cluster.

Have you tried popping the tech2 on and writing a fresh set of fuel settings to suit the car? If its showing down near the bottom, then the cluster must be set to series 2. Im a bit lost how both Series1 and Series2 cars are not accepting the values!

Only time this happens is if the Ohms reading being sent to the cluster is way out of bounds and cluster becomes an unhappy camper.
Or, if the few series configuration is swapped.. and not all clusters accept this change, at certain ohms readings the needle will jump up and down a whole heap! This is due to a firmware conflict inside the cluster.

Im a bit curious to whats happening to the side LCD screens, wonder if the cluster settings have been manually edited.. or a bad .bin has been put into the cluster. I know writing a single LCD cluster to a triple screen removes the side lcds functionality.

Feel free to pop up a picture of whats happening.

BarraSpalding

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Equipe wagon
Hi all - I've got a VY V6 series 1 equipe wagon, and the LCD has done the black out that has been mentioned many times.

There are a few clusters on gumtree for sale, I can source a v6 series 1 standard unit for really cheap so that should be a simple plug and play solution, but thought if I had the option to upgrade it's a good opportunity.
There is a WK statesman cluster for sale, bloke confirmed it's from a 2003 model but is a V8. Will a WK cluster function?
Based on the year model I assume it's a series 1, but can someone details what I would need to do to recalibrate this cluster... Do I get a holden dealer to connect a tech2 or is the software mentioned on here the only solution?

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
Hi all - I've got a VY V6 series 1 equipe wagon, and the LCD has done the black out that has been mentioned many times.

There are a few clusters on gumtree for sale, I can source a v6 series 1 standard unit for really cheap so that should be a simple plug and play solution, but thought if I had the option to upgrade it's a good opportunity.
There is a WK statesman cluster for sale, bloke confirmed it's from a 2003 model but is a V8. Will a WK cluster function?
Based on the year model I assume it's a series 1, but can someone details what I would need to do to recalibrate this cluster... Do I get a holden dealer to connect a tech2 or is the software mentioned on here the only solution?

To avoid alot of headache, make sure it is the correct series.. since the whole backwards fuel gauge will literally drive you up the wall listening to it beeping and complaining about low fuel!.

To check that, you really do need to plug the cluster in to see if the fuel gauge is the correct way or not. Alternatively, if the WK car is there, you can open up engineer mode and have a look at the ohms reading and how many litres are left.

Series1 = 250ohms on full tank (75L) and 45 ohms on empty (0-4Litres)
Series2 = 45ish ohms on full tank (75L) and 250 ohms on empty (0-4Litres)
The above MUST be done in the donor car since the fuel resistance from the fuel sender will match that clusters configuration.

Also just to note, Holden cannot change the series in the cluster.. I know for a fact using my own tech2 unit here! And attempting to change the fuel series in the cluster does not always work, about 2/10 clusters I attempt on reject the new configuration due to some internal conflict in the cluster firmware.. so its not a guaranteed thing!

As for all the other configs, should be able to configure using a tech2 or other scantool.

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Some photos, looks like the ohms are same but WK cluster says low fuel and the DTE 300 and 65 L left. Conflicts all over the place.

Both clusters have 196 ohms and Vy cluster has 2.53 v and the WK has 2.54 v.

But the gauge reads different each time some times going straight to full then the next just over 3/4.

I think the cluster is corrupted.

Attachments

• SDC16052.JPG
    SDC16052.JPG
    232.3 KB · Views: 475
  • SDC16051.JPG
    SDC16051.JPG
    213.6 KB · Views: 630

lowandslow

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 III Monaro
Any closer to going live with the software tazzi?

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
Some photos, looks like the ohms are same but WK cluster says low fuel and the DTE 300 and 65 L left. Conflicts all over the place.

Both clusters have 196 ohms and Vy cluster has 2.53 v and the WK has 2.54 v.

But the gauge reads different each time some times going straight to full then the next just over 3/4.

I think the cluster is corrupted.
Looks like that Left LCD didnt even show anything there hey?
Also sounds like someones tried to manually edit the clusters fuel settings... and more then likely f'ed up. Might need to flash a new set of settings into it to straighten it out, but will probably need tis2web for that action.

Any closer to going live with the software tazzi?
Still.. no, I simply just haven't had any free time to get everything sorted! If I had a free week, everything would be sorted and done but I struggle to find a free hour these days.

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Looks like that Left LCD didnt even show anything there hey?
Also sounds like someones tried to manually edit the clusters fuel settings... and more then likely f'ed up. Might need to flash a new set of settings into it to straighten it out, but will probably need tis2web for that action.

Just fitted a 3rd WK cluster and all 3 screens work fine and the ohms and volts are the same as the other 2 Wk and the original cluster. Dont know about getting it reprogrammed again tho. Not sure if it's worth the extra $$.

I think the 2 WK clusters may need a little more work on the LCD screen solder (hopes) or $500 worth of clusters down the drain.