Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[General] [VY/VZ] Everything to know about Changing Clusters!

Ghost

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs Commodore berlina Sedan 1996
I'm in the middle of whoop whoop lol so if have to box mine and post it I might be able to do it myself I know a bit about soldering I spent a week in a electronics factory soldering circuit boards ill wait until I have a new cluster and will use the old one as a conversion that way I I stuff it up its no real loss but if it does work ill then do it to my new cluster and sell the old one with the mod

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
VY/VZ doesnt use bulbs, it uses a bunch of 1210 SMD LED's surface mounted with solder to the board. You will need some decent soldering skills to remove them (they are tiny) and install new ones

Definitely agree on the decent soldering skills. Wouldnt recommend anyone attempting it unless you have a proper soldering station with temp control soldering ion and low temp solder suitable for pcb board soldering. Most tedious part is removing/unsoldering each leg of the LCD to remove the white plastic to get access to the rest of the led's.

A bloke here on JC posted a tutorial a while back.. and many.. many people fried the LCD or damaged the tracks on the board from lack of experience and patience!

For an idea on how small these lights are and how many ull be dealing with:
034soz.jpg

Ace30189

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ commodore executive wagon
Definitely agree on the decent soldering skills. Wouldnt recommend anyone attempting it unless you have a proper soldering station with temp control soldering ion and low temp solder suitable for pcb board soldering. Most tedious part is removing/unsoldering each leg of the LCD to remove the white plastic to get access to the rest of the led's.

A bloke here on JC posted a tutorial a while back.. and many.. many people fried the LCD or damaged the tracks on the board from lack of experience and patience!

For an idea on how small these lights are and how many ull be dealing with:
034soz.jpg

Just wondering if the klms on the clusters stay there or if they are electronically controlled.. Would it be possible if anyone knows how to do it if I supply a cluster and give them some cash for the troubles?

Ghost

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
The Kms are written to the EPROM so yeah wont be a problem

Ace30189

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ commodore executive wagon
The Kms are written to the EPROM so yeah wont be a problem

Sorry for being a bit clueless but what is that? I used to have a Hyundai excel so not to sure on all the computers in newer cars :/

Ghost

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
There is a chip that stores all the information and will keep the information up to and may even be more than 20 years from the time it's disconnected from a car

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
Sorry for being a bit clueless but what is that? I used to have a Hyundai excel so not to sure on all the computers in newer cars :/

Its a small component used to store information on the cluster. Looking ats its information looks like a whole heap of mumbo jumbo unless you know what your doing.

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
Anyone tell me what LED this type is - it has no ID on it or numbers. The PCB is frm a VZ L1 cluster

Attachments

• VZ_PCB_LCD_LED_1.JPG
    VZ_PCB_LCD_LED_1.JPG
    58.2 KB · Views: 1,571
  • VZ_PCB_LCD_LED_2.JPG
    VZ_PCB_LCD_LED_2.JPG
    80.4 KB · Views: 1,008
  • VZ_PCB_LCD_LED_3.JPG
    VZ_PCB_LCD_LED_3.JPG
    62.2 KB · Views: 1,047

Ghost

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
That would be the light but I would say the way they are there would be some other smd led version