Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[General] [VY/VZ] Everything to know about Changing Clusters!

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
So Level 1 & 2 will work fine on a standard, however Level 3 would require additional wiring to work the additional warning lights, correct?

The L3 may have different SRS config to an SV6 and so it will code errors on the air bags. You also find programming for the gearbox may need to be changed and PPK for the wheels. A/C for climate.

morphix

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VZ SV6 5-Speed Auto
The L3 may have different SRS config to an SV6 and so it will code errors on the air bags. You also find programming for the gearbox may need to be changed and PPK for the wheels. A/C for climate.

Hmm ok.... so for a VZ ignoring the requirement of having the cluster programmed, i know that, will there be any need of additional wiring for it to function (Level 3).

I can get a Level 3 cluster pretty cheap, but unless it will all work without anymore than programming there would be no point be purchasing it.

It seems to be extremely hard to get a definitive answer for the what the exact differences are between Level 2 & 3 clusters for the VZ and if any additional wiring needs to be done/change.

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Hmm ok.... so for a VZ ignoring the requirement of having the cluster programmed, i know that, will there be any need of additional wiring for it to function (Level 3).

I can get a Level 3 cluster pretty cheap, but unless it will all work without anymore than programming there would be no point be purchasing it.

It seems to be extremely hard to get a definitive answer for the what the exact differences are between Level 2 & 3 clusters for the VZ and if any additional wiring needs to be done/change.

All the wires are in the car. I've fitted 5 VZ's with level 3 clusters now with just programming. The level 3 clusters have a 260k speedo I think - or they may just be for V8's and have silver on the fascia. Not sure.

morphix

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VZ SV6 5-Speed Auto
All the wires are in the car. I've fitted 5 VZ's with level 3 clusters now with just programming. The level 3 clusters have a 260k speedo I think - or they may just be for V8's and have silver on the fascia. Not sure.

Thanks, thats all i needed to know, if its just programming i may end up picking this cluster up (around $175 second hand).

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
Thanks, thats all i needed to know, if its just programming i may end up picking this cluster up (around $175 second hand).

Really the only difference in the lvl2/3 clusters is possibly a few leds (which wont be used by your car since its not a higher level) and the fascia + dial colours. Apart from that, theres no other wiring required or changes to current wiring to have it working 100%.
ALL clusters can work in any car! can grab a lvl4/5 cluster from a WL and chuck it in!.. As long as the SRS config and tacho (PPR) values and transmission, then you should have no problems!.
Should also Mention that the fuel config would also need to be sorted if the cluster is going from a sedan to ute or vise versa.

$175 seems bit steep for second hand without any modifications/programming. Check out ebay/gumtree, theres a few cheap VZ lvl2/3 clusters up at the moment. Id suggest checking there.

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Updated with "how to determine what series car I have" for those asking and unsure on what they currently have.

Series 2 started on the 6/8/03 tag number L156716. So it may be safe to say that if your car serial number is less than L156716 and built before 6th August 2003 you will have a Series 1 VY. :)

JDJD23

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vu HSV R8 Maloo
I have just put a Vy cluster in my Vu maloo. Everything works just I get a check engine warning and won't go away and also alarm activated from passengers door or watever because its a sedan cluster panning on getting a Vy maloo cluster soon, do you know what wire I would have to hook up to get the engine warning to go away and work. I have 4 wires that aren't connected, Brown,orange/black,yellow, and small light blue. Yellow is door, blue is security that's dont know what the others are?.

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
I have just put a Vy cluster in my Vu maloo. Everything works just I get a check engine warning and won't go away and also alarm activated from passengers door or watever because its a sedan cluster panning on getting a Vy maloo cluster soon, do you know what wire I would have to hook up to get the engine warning to go away and work. I have 4 wires that aren't connected, Brown,orange/black,yellow, and small light blue. Yellow is door, blue is security that's dont know what the others are?.

Well I have to say your doing well if the car starts up and dials work?. Surprised you dont have SRS warning going off?

Well going off these wiring diagrams... seems to match vy harness config.
vyharness.png

Brown is alternator. Looks like orange black is engine 12V+ bus. Not sure what anything else is. You sure the check engine light isnt because of missing serial communication? Cant image a VY cluster into a VU will be happen with missing serial communication!. May need to "mask" that info so it doesnt look for it.

Cheers, GreenVN for that info, will keep that in mind.

JDJD23

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vu HSV R8 Maloo
Thanks the diagram helps, yeah srs is on but LH pretentioner has deployed. Haven't got around to putting the new one in hahha