Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY/VZ How to paint dash and steering wheel spokes

wingwang99

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Voodoo Sv6
Hey everyone i have had a request to post up a how to on this... And yes before i get crucified i know other people have done this but i did a little more than most and most are for vt/vx's.

First of all you need to make sure you have everything you need...
*Sandpaper - I used a piece of 400, 800 and 1200
*Plastic Primer - Got mine from Supercheap, about $10
*Touch-up paint - Supercheap near me had bugger all colours so went to ricerbahn and picked up a big can (normal spray paint size) for about $18, you will need a big can if your doing the dash and spokes.
*Clear topcoat (enamel)
*Turps or similar solvent
*cutting compound
*Masking tape
*Phillips head screwdriver
*Small Flathead screwdriver

Now take apart the dash and steering wheel.

Dash Removal (thanks to exec24)
https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/how-remove-dash-center-console-vy-vz.60145

Steering Wheel Removal (thanks to juzo)
https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/guide-removing-vy-vz-steering-wheel.79695

Cluster Surround - There's 2 screws in the top of the surround, removed them, then gently pull the top out first

Mask up everything that you don't want paint on, don't be afraid to use heaps of tape coz i missed a spot accidentally and ended up having to paint the silver on the centre as i had over spray on it...

Now get sanding. Start with the 400 and work your way down to the 1200 changing the direction between sandings.

Once smoothed out by the 1200, give it a clean with some turps and your ready to go. Give it a spray of primer (i only used 1 coat and thats all that is needed if you have sanded well enough). If your doing it on a hot dry day it will only take a few minutes to dry.

Now is the time to apply the paint. I used about 5 coats until i was happy with the colour. Make sure that the coats are thin, don't try and do 2 or 3 thick coats as it will look shyt. As i said, if your doing it on a hot dry day, you only have to wait 5 minutes between coats, and if your doing it all at once, by the time you have done it all you will have to wait 2 mins or so to start again.

Once your happy with the colour you have to apply the topcoat, exactly the same way as you did the paint.

I then left it to dry for about 20-30 mins and then put it all back together.

I then used a cutting compound on it the next day just to smooth out a few small bumps and to improve the look. Just be careful when you do this or the compound can get into small gaps, i had a toothpick handy for this...

Anyway its all done, now enjoy your work. I think it is good for the $40 or so that it cost, gives your car a bit of a personal/unique touch.

To check out the results look at my ride section (link below) there are also other threads on this that you can check out...

Last edited:

Lumps of cheese

welcome to the machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
83 vh sle, 4x4 hilux, 03 monaro, 07 nightrain
Great how to, nice and detailed.

wingwang99

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Voodoo Sv6
Might be a dumb question... How did you get the cluster surround out?

Remove the bottom surround, there's 2 screws down the bottom, then lever off the top rectangular piece from the top with a flathead (gentle so not to scratch anything), then i think there's 4 screws in the top. Pull from the top and disconnect the hazard lights

DUK13Y

When in doubt, slide it out
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VEII SSV, VYII Berlina, '97 Lancer
ahh ok. What about the speedo surround? I'm thinking of painting mine satin chrome as well as the wheel spokes and vents.

wingwang99

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Voodoo Sv6
Updated first post with how to remove cluster surround. Not too hard, i managed to work it out for myself.

let us know how you go and post up some pics dukey

DUK13Y

When in doubt, slide it out
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VEII SSV, VYII Berlina, '97 Lancer
Might not be for a while because I'm still contemplating whether I should sell my lancer and buy an S pack now or if I should wait for a few years and get the family Berlina free. I would do it to the Berlina but parents are not keen on me doing anything while it's still theirs:bang:. Will post when I do finally get around to it:p.