Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY/VZ Strut Brace Cost

VYMAD

SILVERFOX
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY EXECUTIVE S2
I reckon I'll price one from Holden. If they're between 38-60 odd bux then why not give one a go? Although here in bundaberg they'll probably want $100+ for one as most things in this town are dearer. Petrol is 5-10 c/p/l more than down the road at Childers and Maryborough. DOHHH!!!!

Lumps of cheese

welcome to the machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
83 vh sle, 4x4 hilux, 03 monaro, 07 nightrain
As minux said, they don't do alot if anything really but for $30 odd bucks it's not a lot to spend anyway.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
Probably because they do? My ute was shitloads stiffer up the front right after i put all my bits in. I know the sway bars probably are to blame for most of this, but i doubt the strut brace just sits there smiling.

You have evidence of this?

Certainly made no difference on the track when i was testing them, again, they are a great placebo mod ;)

VYMAD

SILVERFOX
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY EXECUTIVE S2
As minux said, they don't do alot if anything really but for $30 odd bucks it's not a lot to spend anyway.
I sure hope they're 30 odd bux here!:bang:

BullittSV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ Commodore SV6
You have evidence of this?

Certainly made no difference on the track when i was testing them, again, they are a great placebo mod ;)

Do you have evidence that they did nothing? Lap times? Or just your word against one_and_only2004's?

I noticed that it sharpened the front up slightly. But that was just the feeling I got.

Another thing. How different is the suspension set ups in a VY senator and a VYII S ute. I imagine that the Senator is pretty well sorted but maybe the effect on a VYII S is more prominent if the suspension's not as focussed. Hell there's probably a difference between a VYII S sedan and ute.

In the end, its about $50. If it makes an improvement, great. If it doesn't, its just $50.

unregistered

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY V6 S2
Mine was about $40-50, I noticed it was easier to steer at low speeds, i doubt it would work for heavy duty racing though.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
Do you have evidence that they did nothing? Lap times? Or just your word against one_and_only2004's?

I noticed that it sharpened the front up slightly. But that was just the feeling I got.

Another thing. How different is the suspension set ups in a VY senator and a VYII S ute. I imagine that the Senator is pretty well sorted but maybe the effect on a VYII S is more prominent if the suspension's not as focussed. Hell there's probably a difference between a VYII S sedan and ute.

In the end, its about $50. If it makes an improvement, great. If it doesn't, its just $50.

5 laps of each, no different times, all averaged pretty much exactly the same. I think if it made a difference, you would notice it on a track over the street. the only thing it did do was get really hot which made it hard to remove.

kart_racer

Races karts
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim 5M
The holden one does pretty much fek all... you wont notice a massive difference putting it on.

Holden marketing wanted it on there to make the car look more "sporty"

For a strut brace to be 100% effective the bar has to be straight. Any bends in the bar is basially a pivit point for the stresses generated which pretty much cancels out any reason to have one in the first place...

Whiteline do one for the commo. Look im not saying it wont do anything for your car, i couldnt tell a difference in mine, but the money could be spent elsewhere on the suspension for a more dramatic difference :)

Some very loose truths in that.

Bends are virtually impossible to remove from a strut brace due to the location. They will not affect it enough to mean the brace is redundant. All that is needed is support to prevent the towers flexing and the Holden strut brace is adequate enough to do this.

The major issue with the generation 3 Commodore that the strut brace is there to fix is fatigue on the joins of the strut towers, which eventually crack. Preventing such excessive flexing of the towers prevents fatigue.

As far as performance gains go, there should be slightly less flexing, so turn in should be better and compliance over uneven roads should be improved. Many have attested to this being true.

Sure, the whiteline brand one is adjustable and stiffer, and will most likely do a better job than the Holden one. But for $50 the Holden one is great! It's not weak or thin like some available on eBay and is up to the task.

Maybe a strut brace doesn't show up with laptimes on a track, but it does make a slight difference to handling and compliance, and will prevent strut tower cracks. Worth the $50 and time to fit.