Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY wagon alternator whine DEBACLE

madmartin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU Maloo, VY Berlina V8 wagon
Ok so I'm pretty sure I've read nearly every thread on here about this problem. Time to start my own.

I've had the system from my Monaro fitted to my replacement VY wagon, Pioneer Amp, Infinity 4ch amp and speakers. Worked great in the Munt-ro but now I have the dreaded whine. It's been back to the poor bastard that fitted it twice, he's re-routed the power leads, run different RCA's, fitted a suppression doofery thing (can't remember quite what they're call, but jaycar sells them) on the amp. No luck.

I've fitted suppression capacitor to the alternator and also a wrap around type inline suppression device on the amp power lead directly after the battery. The noise is worse than ever, it also seems to be worse with the A/C running or the engine fans on. Is there some way of supressing that feed? Wondering if that's what I'm missing.

Any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

MYVESSV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6LT M6
check your earths, but also check the charge wire that directly bolts to alt. these are known to corrode up at the terminal and part way up the wire (assuming it is a v6)

r2160

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
One of the things I learnt some time ago is that modern cars are glued together, not welded. We used to experience this because the joins between the panels was not great, and therefore the earth was poor. Try running a wire directly from the amp and head unit to the battery to test the theory. You will probably find the whine will go.

Use these to join the sections of the car together to ensure a good earth all the way along.
Flexible Copper Braid Bonds

cheers

madmartin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU Maloo, VY Berlina V8 wagon
One of the things I learnt some time ago is that modern cars are glued together, not welded. We used to experience this because the joins between the panels was not great, and therefore the earth was poor. Try running a wire directly from the amp and head unit to the battery to test the theory. You will probably find the whine will go.

Use these to join the sections of the car together to ensure a good earth all the way along.
Flexible Copper Braid Bonds

cheers

Thanks for the responses guys!
Earths are something I haven't looked into in depth, I do know the +ve feed out the alternator is nice and health looking at the alt end, looking at any more of it might not be so easy though. Why the fluck did they put it down there? I miss my 304, so much easier to work on.

lbaxter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina S2 3.8L Ecotec
I have alternator whine in my vy sedan also, and nothing has seemed to solve it yet. Checked grounds, grounded straight to battery at one stage, re did all the RCA cables, put a new head unit it, ground loop isolators, ferrite magnets, anything I could think of. Still there :/
I'm starting to think it's electromagnet interference coming into the speaker wire as it goes by the ECU. Correct me if that doesn't make sense, but I'm getting alternator whine with my speakers unplugged from my amp

dibenedetto

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve wagon
Yes you are correct.
Its possible that the inductors in the xovers are picking up magnetic fields from the car electrics.
Try rotating or moving your xovers to another angle less sensitive to noise.
Once you find the best angle then you will need to screw them down in that exact position.