Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY Wagon for $1000 (bargain?)

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
I just had a friend of my missus ask me about putting a new engine in her VY wagon. I showed her some prices of fully reconditioned and second hand ecotecs that Id found online etc, and she ended up deciding just to sell the car instead. She rang the wreckers and asked them about it, they offered her $800 for it, so when she asked me about the wreckers and the $800 offer, I offered her $1000 for it instead, so she accepted that. Ive given her a deposit until payday until I can get the rest of the money together and go pick up the car. But I just wanted to find out what these cars are roughly worth, and is it a good buy for a grand, as Im just gonna buy a low k's engine, fit it myself and then resell it. The rest of the car is in pretty good condition, the car has done around 300,000 km, it has 5 new tyres and 4 months rego. The only thing I could see that was wrong with it, was a couple of the door trims have broken plastic over the spekers? or whatever,anyway, I noticed that these are broken and will need repalcing, maybe a wreckers? Also the car is a dark blue colour.

Delish-VY

Banned
Reaction score
Originally - Eastern Suburbs - Melbourne, Currentl
Members Ride
2003 VY S pack
I just had a friend of my missus ask me about putting a new engine in her VY wagon. I showed her some prices of fully reconditioned and second hand ecotecs that Id found online etc, and she ended up deciding just to sell it instead. She rang the wreckers and asked them about it, they offered her $800 for it, so when she asked me about the wreckers and the $800 offer, I offered her $1000 for it instead, so she accepted that. Ive given her a deposit until payday until I can pay the rest of the money together and go pick up the car. But I just wanted to find out what these cars are roughly worth, and is it a good buy for a grand, as Im just gonna buy a low k,s engine, fit it myself and then resell it. The rest of the car is in pretty good condition, the car has done around 300,000 km, it has 5 new tyres and 4 months rego. The only thing I could see tjhat was wrong with it was a couple of the door trims have broken plastic over the spekers? or whatever,anyway, I noticed that these are broken and will need repalcing, maybe a wreckers. Also the car is a dark blue colour.

They can sell for 6-8k...she's kinda foolish for selling it that cheap, any idea about what else would need to be done for a RWC?, It might not even be worth transplanting an engine if you"re just going to sell it again, might be easier to just sell it on after fixing up the obvious broken plastics.

tim005

Yet Another VS Ute Owner
Reaction score
Members Ride
99' Series 3 VS S-Pac Ute.
Depends how much you're going to spend on it before you flog it off.
But a VY in itself for a grand is a bargain. You could strip it and make a whole lot of $$$ on what you paid for it.

elmaso

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS berlina
I've seen the ex-taxis go for anything from 1500-3500 but I'm guessing this VY would be in better nick than an ex-taxi!

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Thanks guys for your input. Yeah Im just gonna fit another low k's engine, clean it up and get it back to how it should be looking, with nothing broken etc, and I will probably sell it. I cant believe they blew it up in the first place.. This chicks mother paid well over $10,000 for it just a few months ago. Apparently they got some bloke to do an oil change on it, and this clown has left the oil filter loose, so it lost its oil. They reckon that they stopped the car as soon as the warning light(s) came on, but it must have still done some damage to the engine as they cant get it started now. They said it didnt make any noises though before it stopped, which has really got me stuffed, as it would have been rattling its head off if it had no oil pressure. Anyway, I'll just assume its stuffed for now, but I will have a closer look when I get the car home. Be good if its just something simple, but I doubt it will be.

Delish-VY

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY S pack
Thanks guys for your input. Yeah Im just gonna fit another low k's engine, clean it up and get it back to how it should be looking, with nothing broken etc, and I will probably sell it. I cant believe they blew it up in the first place.. This chicks mother paid well over $10,000 for it just a few months ago. Apparently they got some bloke to do an oil change on it, and this clown has left the oil filter loose, so it lost its oil. They reckon that they stopped the car as soon as the warning light(s) came on, but it must have still done some damage to the engine as they cant get it started now. They said it didnt make any noises though before it stopped, which has really got me stuffed, as it would have been rattling its head off if it had no oil pressure. Anyway, I'll just assume its stuffed for now, but I will have a closer look when I get the car home. Be good if its just something simple, but I doubt it will be.

ah....well you didn't say the engines was fu**ed, yes new engine is good.

Clutchy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz wagon
ah....well you didn't say the engines was fu**ed, yes new engine is good.

read the first post were his talking about getting asked about putting a new engine in his friends wagon if that don't tell you the engine was buggered I'm not sure what will.

Delish-VY

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY S pack
read the first post were his talking about getting asked about putting a new engine in his friends wagon if that don't tell you the engine was buggered I'm not sure what will.

...It had high k's 300,000+, I thought he just wanted to replace it because it was old....thanks for your highly constructive input though.

elmaso

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS berlina
I'd say rip out the current running gear and take a look, before you go buy low KM's engine/trans.

And paying 10K for a VY? That would have wanted to be tip, bloody, top!

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Sorry guys, I probably should have explained first up that the engine could be stuffed from having lost its oil.. And yeah, its a pretty good looking car for the amount of k's its got on it. The few times that I saw it, it was like you could hardly hear it running it was that quiet. Id also had a quick look at it with the tech2, and everything showed up ok at the time.. That was a few weeks before the engine was buggered though.. Anyway, I will post up more when I pick it up next week and Ive had a chance to go right over it. Thanks guys.