Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY Wagon for $1000 (bargain?)

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
Why not remove the original engine, pull it down and have a look at the condition.
Might be an option to recondition it yourself?

Unfortunately the price of parts for these still isn't cheap, it's cheaper to rebuild a 304 (if you ignore the initial cost of the engine), cheaper to find a $100-$300 s/hand one to throw in.

Delish-VY

Banned
Reaction score
Originally - Eastern Suburbs - Melbourne, Currentl
Members Ride
2003 VY S pack
Unfortunately the price of parts for these still isn't cheap, it's cheaper to rebuild a 304 (if you ignore the initial cost of the engine), cheaper to find a $100-$300 s/hand one to throw in.

a 304 in a vy? (noob question time), aren't 304's older motors and wouldn't be compatible.

I8.A4.RE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY LS1 - LANCER MY10 - VE UTE
I dont give a **** what you think.

With an answer like that ^ I guess you don't mind taking advantage of your missus "friend"?

If you're considering on fixing the VY and selling it for a profit then you are.

Why would a person sell their car for the cost to get it fixed? That's not smart maths by anybody's textbook.

Even if she was going to sell, why offer her a measly fraction ( 1/5 ) of what the car is potentially worth. She obviously looked to you for your advice and you saw opportunity. You could of easily have fixed it for her for a $1000. Help her sell it for as low as $5000, recieving a max 50% commission. Doubling what she now recieves and getting a max of $2000 youself by literally doing sfa and helping out a friend at the same time.

You are what you are.

Delish-VY

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY S pack
...Kind true, you should buy her something nice once you move it on if you make a tidy profit on it.

SavVYute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S V6 Ute Series II 2004
Brett. I think you were generous offering her a grand for it.
You took a big problem off her hands.

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
damn caught me out delish... vt was the last to use a 304, will try and get some prices together for a 3.8 ecotec rebuild in the next couple of days and how it compares to a 5.7 price wise for rebuild to be more accurate, but once again it comes down to adr compliance, if the numbers matched even though it's an older engine, if it complies you could put it in....

Delish-VY

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY S pack
damn caught me out delish... vt was the last to use a 304, will try and get some prices together for a 3.8 ecotec rebuild in the next couple of days and how it compares to a 5.7 price wise for rebuild to be more accurate, but once again it comes down to adr compliance, if the numbers matched even though it's an older engine, if it complies you could put it in....

I wasn't sure, my engine knowledge is minimal but it didn't sound VY related as I"ve perused many VY threads and never seen it mentioned.

Demonica

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS clubsport
With an answer like that ^ I guess you don't mind taking advantage of your missus "friend"?

If you're considering on fixing the VY and selling it for a profit then you are.

Why would a person sell their car for the cost to get it fixed? That's not smart maths by anybody's textbook.

Even if she was going to sell, why offer her a measly fraction ( 1/5 ) of what the car is potentially worth. She obviously looked to you for your advice and you saw opportunity. You could of easily have fixed it for her for a $1000. Help her sell it for as low as $5000, recieving a max 50% commission. Doubling what she now recieves and getting a max of $2000 youself by literally doing sfa and helping out a friend at the same time.

You are what you are.

Dude she rang the wreckers to see what its worth. Thats just screaming out I cant be stuffed advertising it for sale and waiting for someone to buy it for whatever the market value is. Most likely if he hadnt of offered the grand then she would of let the wreckers come get it.

Op congrats on a good bargain. Shame you arent keeping it, would make an awesome sleeper :)

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Look, for anyone thinking that Ive just plainly robbed this girl, all I can say is that theres a hell of a lot more to this girls story than first meets the eye, and Im not about to explain openly on the net exactly whats gone on, especially now that Ive posted up pics of her car with number plate etc.. But the point is her mother was making her sell it to the wreckers for the $800, so I grabbed it instead. The girls mother said that she wont pay to fix another car for her, apparently the car has just been driven into the ground since shes had it, with every tom dick and harry borrowing it or driving it etc. The mothers just had enough if it all. The car has never even been washed or cleaned since shes owned it.. If she'd had this car for another 12 months, it would have probably ended up on the scrap heap anyway.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Today I opened up the little compartment located just under the radio, the one that you push on and the little door opens out, well it was full of cigarette butts and ash etc and has been used as an ash tray.. Now I dont think this is supposed to be the ash tray, and I couldnt see a way of removing it to empty and clean it. I noticed that theres no lighter socket anywhere either, so would I be right in assuming that these cars dont come with a lighter and an ash tray? Or what is the go with them?