Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY Wagon for $1000 (bargain?)

SavVYute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S V6 Ute Series II 2004
Today I opened up the little compartment located just under the radio, the one that you push on and the little door opens out, well it was full of cigarette butts and ash etc and has been used as an ash tray.. Now I dont think this is supposed to be the ash tray, and I couldnt see a way of removing it to empty and clean it. I noticed that theres no lighter socket anywhere either, so would I be right in assuming that these cars dont come with a lighter and an ash tray? Or what is the go with them?

It's not an ashtray. It's a storage compartment. Ashtray was an optional extra.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Yeah, thats what I thought. Thanks mate.
Jeez,I dont understand how people can treat a nice car like that. It must be good to have rich parents.

I8.A4.RE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY LS1 - LANCER MY10 - VE UTE
It's not an ashtray. It's a storage compartment. Ashtray was an optional extra.

It was actually dubbed the 'Smokers Pack'...

xxaussiepridexx

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy sv8
Today I opened up the little compartment located just under the radio, the one that you push on and the little door opens out, well it was full of cigarette butts and ash etc and has been used as an ash tray.. Now I dont think this is supposed to be the ash tray, and I couldnt see a way of removing it to empty and clean it. I noticed that theres no lighter socket anywhere either, so would I be right in assuming that these cars dont come with a lighter and an ash tray? Or what is the go with them?
no it's not a ashtray. And the lighter socket should be located in the centre console in between the front seats, nice pick up for a grand mate me personally would wack a decent second hand vy engine in and sell it u will make a good amount of cash

I8.A4.RE

Reaction score
Members Ride
no it's not a ashtray. And the lighter socket should be located in the centre console in between the front seats, nice pick up for a grand mate me personally would wack a decent second hand vy engine in and sell it u will make a good amount of cash

The 12v socket is located in the centre console. It has nothing to do with a lighter. The 'smoker pack' option had the ashtray and lighter in place of where OP has explained the storage location in front of the shifter.

Here's a link >>> http://trickshiftperformance.com.au/zencart/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=107

xxaussiepridexx

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy sv8

The 12v socket is located in the centre console. It has nothing to do with a lighter. The 'smoker pack' option had the ashtray and lighter in place of where OP has explained the storage location in front of the shifter.

Here's a link >>> http://trickshiftperformance.com.au/zencart/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=107
yeah true my bad I just thought u would still use it as a lighter socket but a smokers pack would be more realistic

I8.A4.RE

Reaction score
Members Ride
All good bud.

Pickled

Reaction score
Members Ride
Car
8k for a stock VY commodore? Dreamin' mate.

It's still a very good buy for what it is though, a profit will be had regardless.

ivabiggen

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
vz Executive
f#$ked and filthy cars seem to be the go for ladies who are allways looking for quick cash to feed a nasty habit.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Just an update for anyone interested, I finally caught up with the guy the other day who did the service and supposedly left the oil filter loose, and it wasnt the oil filter that was loose that stuffed the engine, when they changed the oil they put diesel oil in it instead of the right type of oil. He said he'd noticed that the bottle said diesel engine oil, but thought it would still be ok to use it.. So this is whats caused it to blow up, as the loose oil filter story just didnt make any sense. And Ive seen another V6 commy that had diesel oil put in it by mistake by a mates missus, and when it blew up, it went exactly the same way, rattling its head off and blowing huge amounts of white smoke etc.
I got the new inlet manifold gaskets today in the post, so I will be changing the VY manifolds over to the VS ecotec engine and installing that over the next few days. I will probably spend a day or two cleaning the engine and engine bay etc whilst the engine is out.